Cancelling a return guest

Cancelling a return guest

My boyfriend and I just had a horrible guest experience. He booked 8 days and 2 days in he messaged me asking for 4 days of it to be refunded because he had just gotten off work and needed to go to his wedding in Canada? I'm not sure how that creeps up on you but anyway, besides that the whole time he was constantly yelling on his phone and spent the majority of his time in our only bathroom. The whole thing was unpleasant. We absolutely do not want him to book with us again, but he mentioned trying to book us again in January. We really prefer having instant book on because we get much more bookings with it than when it's turned off. So my question is if this guest booked me could I cancel it without being penalised since he's been a guest of mine before and it was terrible? Or do I have to turn off instant booking? 

5 Replies 5
Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

@Virginia69

You can't block him, unfortunately.

If you haven't left a review for him yet, you can always leave him a thumbs down that you don't recommend him, since his selfish behavior doesn't seem suited to a shared home situation. That way he won't be able to re-book with you if you have chosen the IB version for guests with positive reviews only.

If you don't want to choose that stricter IB setting, you only have one recourse in case he books again, is to then cancel due to not feeling comfortable with him. BTW, generally best to call Airbnb for the cancellation in that case. 

You could rate him low and thumbs down if you have not already reviewed him. 

You could flag his profile to Airbnb and tell them you feel uncomfortable with him so if he IB again you have some ammo when you call Airbnb to tell them you want to cancel. 

You could temporarily stop using IB.

How about blocking an occasional day in your calendar.  Is he traveling for work?  Maybe blocking Wednesdays would prevent him from IB but still allow others to book weekends?

Why should she loose booking days for a person she does not feeling comfortable having in her home?  AIRBNB still has lots of work to do to protect us hosts. 

I had a guest leave our kitchen this morning, extremely messy. Greasy pans and a sink full of dishes. Didn’t read anything in regards to parking, turning the lights off, etc...

UnFortunately, she had booked two days in Feb & 2 days in March. I really don’t want her back. But if I cancel because I don’t feel comfortable having her here, those dates get blocked so I loose the income. Something wrong there. Why should we be penalized for trying to protect our investment? 

There is no point in giving her a review because if she doesn’t respond then mine doesn’t get posted. 

I feel like sending her a personal message letting her know that it would be in her best interest to canceller her booking in March because the code will NOT be in the door when she arrives! 

The custoner is NOT always right! 

@Victoria329   You are under a misconception- ALL reviews get published whether both parties write a review or not. If only one party submits a review, it will be published 14 days after check-out. If both leave a review, they get published as soon as both have been submitted.

However, I wouldn't leave a review for this guest until after you contact Airbnb to tell them you are not comfortable with the March reservation and why, and ask them to cancel it with no penalties to you. Once that is done, then leave the review. If you badly review her first, without cancelling, she'll show up in March, be an even worse guest than she was before, out of revenge, and tank your ratings with a review after the March stay.

After my message to her explaining that she did not show respect to my home & that I hoped she could get back on track with her next booking,she decided to cancel. Her loss. 

Got another booking minutes after she cancelled.