Caretaker for Guest?

Anthony608
Level 10
Silver Spring, MD

Caretaker for Guest?

So, I have had my first disabled guest, a gentleman who is hearing impaired and, while he can read lips, needs things written down and cannot speak that well.  His disability is not an issue at all, he is welcome my home, but what disturbed me was what happened on the night he arrived.  He came in with a male companion who said he was his interpreter.  He used sign language to talk between the two of us and then signed questions my guest had and related them to me.

It became clear fairly quickly that the guest thought I stayed at home during the day, would be able to spend time with him, and take him places to do things.  I simply said that I worked during the day but was available in the evenings for any issue with the room.  The interpreter signed this and then headed out to leave this guest alone.  The next night, the guest approached me- actually walked into a family area of the home that most guests don't usually enter (but to fair, I never have said it was off limits) and again began asking questions (both in writing and through speech) about doing things with me the next day. I again said I worked during the day, wrote some of this down, and suggested things he could do by himself.

My question is, I think this gentleman was expecting the host to act sort of as a caretaker, watching out for him, and staying with him during the day so he wouldn't be by himself.  Also, he has a 3.5 overall guest rating and some of the previous reviews danced around this issue I think.  Should any of this be mentioned in my review?  AirBNB takes discrimination very seriously and I don't want to give any impression that I am saying things about him being hearing impaired.  Its rather that he was expecting me to be a caretaker which I think needs to be addressed.

3 Replies 3
Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Anthony608 

oh, poor guy, he probably feels lonely and bored and would like some companion/friend and that's not easy for someone who doesn't hear. It is even worse if he is an elderly person, not familiar with the internet, doesn't have a car or has a limited budget

You did the right thing to write down places he can go/see/ visit by himself. Maybe you could give him a city guide, city map, list of events, etc... if you could pick it up from your local tourist info center. 

If he would stay with me I would call local deafness association, explain the situation and ask them if they could recommend places to see and things to do for my guest.  Quick google search and I found this list of resources: https://www.montgomerycountymd.gov/HHS-Program/Resources/Files/A&D%20Docs/DND/DNDDeafResources.pdf

Regarding review I think @Sarah977  or @Robin4  are the best to ask 🙂

I think I would write somethig like:  XX is polite, neat blah blah... and perfect guest for someone who is willing to spend time together and show him places. Ideally for someone who is also familiar with sign language, but it is not necessary.

Anthony608
Level 10
Silver Spring, MD

@Branka-and-Silvia0- Yes, I think he had some emotional problems.  By the time his four day stay was over, it was pretty clear that he not only had expected me to stay home with him at the house, but also take him places to do things, and was further expecting there to be a fully stocked refrigerator with food for him to eat. 

He actually made several comments about the house not having food for him during his stay, and left a review where he said there was not enough to eat in the house.  4 stars overall, but his review was actually buried underneath several others which were very positive.  He also send me a private message saying I had "not taken care of him" and didn't reply to any of his messages - completely untrue, as the AirBNB message system was full of my replies to him and I actually had left work early one day when he said he had gotten sick in the bathroom and needed help.

He has a few other good reviews, I just stated in my review he would be better with a host who was available all day to be with him.  I left out anything about him being hearing impaired, since his disability shouldn't even be a factor for consideration to future hosts.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Anthony608  This guest should be booking for 2 guests and travelling with a caretaker. That's what I'd message back to the guest in response to his private fedback that you didn't take care of him. Booking a room doesn't come with 24 hour disabled home support service.