Changing reservation

Maria594
Level 1
Victoria, Australia

Changing reservation

Hi,

I'm fairly new to hosting and a future guest who has booked for a month wants to leave 3 days earlier. When i tried to change the reservation it actually is costing him more! I understand this may have something to do with the fx rate howevr i believe the system is not applying the monthly discount. How can i adjust this?

2 Replies 2
Susan48
Level 3
Ruidoso, NM

There are several ways that you could resolve this.  You may be able to use the feature that says, "Offer a special rate."   However, if that is not an available option, you may be able to use the "Resolution Center.  In both of those cases, the guest must approve your offer.  Finally, if all else fails, just phone Airbnb and ask them to make the adjustment.

Monthly rate discounts are applied at 28 nights (not days).  If the guest is not staying 28 nights, the discount does not apply.  The weekly discount does apply, however, if you have one. You can do a few things: 

1. Tell the guest to keep their reservation for 28 nights to get the monthly discount (probably cheaper to keep the extra than only book for 27) RECOMMENDED!
  2. Send the guest a modified reservation request with a different price.  NOT SUGGESTED! This is a typical scam of some folks to get you bargain down the price and then their trip just keeps getting shorter and shorter.  
  3. Offer to refund them the extra nights they are leaving early after they check out.  So if they check out on day 27 after paying for 31 nights, you can send them a refund for the 4 nights they don't stay.  That way, they will have paid in advance, you will have received the money on or about day 7 of their stay and can refund them after they leave.  Make sure to tell them you will only refund up to so many nights though - see scam scenario in #2
  4. Tell them the situation - monthly discounts apply at 28 nights - those are the terms and since you do not handle the money or that contractual term, that is the price if they change their stay to a shorter term.  Hard ball tactic that's not suitable for every one.