Charged By Airbnb Because Toilet Paper Clogged The Toilet

Charged By Airbnb Because Toilet Paper Clogged The Toilet

In our previous trip, the toilet was clogged during our stay. The host called in a plumber, who determined that it was the toilet paper that clogged the toilet. The host tried to charge us for the payment for to unclog the toilet, and involved Airbnb to arbitrate. 

Airbnb later determined that we should pay for cost to unclog. This made us feel pretty unfair, given that we still do NOT think we did anything wrong as:

- the clog was caused by the toilet paper (suggested by the host)

- throwing toilet paper into the toilet is NOT an improper use of the toilet

This appears to us more of a maintenance issue, and we do not really understand why we should be responsible for this.

Does anyone run into similar issue or could shed more light on this?

23 Replies 23

@Lingnan0  I don't know where your Airbnb was located, but actually in most of the world, plumbing systems can't handle toilet paper and it is indeed improper to flush it. Usually, when this is the case, a waste basket is provided, and hosts provide some guidance to foreign visitors about what not to flush.

If the host somehow failed to advise guests not to flush toilet paper, I hope they've now learned to do so - nobody would prefer the inconvenience of calling in a plumber and filing a damage claim regularly. As for you, Airbnb has already made its decision so there's really nothing else you can do but pay up and move on.

It is in the US  and it is fine to flush it in. The host did put up a warning, and toilet paper was not included. 

Yeah, guess we do not have any choices but to move on. A good lesson on things to be aware of via Airbnb rental though.

@Lingnan0  Your story is valid, but perhaps the host has a different perception of how the situation flushed out. Hopefully you will both leave honest reviews of each other, so that anyone either of you will have to deal with in the future can make a well-informed decision of what to expect.

It does seem a little bit surprising that an American plumber would call normal toilet paper the cause of a clog, in a place where toilet paper is regularly flushed through the system. There seems to be a missing detail in this story. But hey, we're not a jury here, we're just peers. So you lost this case, and maybe you're thinking Airbnb is not for you in the future. You're probably right about that.

Yeah, great suggestions! If this is an indeed problem with the flushing system of the unit, and happens again to the future guests, I hope they could know there has been a similar incident from the review.

For the  clogging, I honestly do not know too much the details about how the plumber determined this. All I had is that the host sent me a charging request, telling me that the plumber determined it is the excessive amount of toilet paper that led to the clogging, with the receipt of the plumbing. 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Lingnan0  There isn't any "maintenance" for toilets that prevents it getting clogged up with toilet paper. 

As Andrew mentioned, there are many places in the world where toilet paper can't be flushed at all, but if you are in an area where it can be, it still doesn't mean you can overload the toilet with big wads of toilet paper. Nor can baby or make-up wipes be flushed.

A toilet that clogs from toilet paper during your stay is your responsibility.

The Airbnb is in the US, where it is fine to flush the toilet paper. There was a warning sign in the bathroom, of things that should not go into the toilet, and we were honoring this warning. I am pretty confident that no one put baby/make-up wipes to the toilet.

> if you are in an area where it can be, it still doesn't mean you can overload the toilet with big wads of toilet paper. 

Yeah, guess it is the whole point here. The definition of an 'excessive toilet paper' is purely subjective and relies on the common sense.  I do not really think anyone could use more toilet paper than they did at home. So, when toilet clogged, it is hard not to wonder if it is not an issue with the toilet itself.

@Lingnan0  Had you arrived to find the toilet clogged, then it would be obvious the problem had nothing to do with you. It clogged during your stay. That indicates there was no underlying problem with the toilet.

A toilet is a very simple piece of equipment. There aren't "hidden" problems that could cause it to suddenly clog on its own.

Well, that's why I always buy toilet paper with 2 layers for my guests even though I am tempted to buy those with 3 or 4 layers. But, people tend to use the same length of paper no matter if it is a thick or thin one and then clog the drain. That's why in public places there are special toilet paper holders where you have to pull one by one piece of paper, and it doesn't go out easy 😄

@Branka-and-Silvia0 

Same here~ when we first started hosting, we left out the 4-py TP that Henry and I were using because we didn't see the need to have different TP for guest use. But one particular guest was going thru nearly double the amount Henry and I use together (and Henry works from home!!!!) so after a month we switched the guest bath TP to 2-ply. Best decision ever~~~ 

@Sarah977 There can be a slew of problems. I dealt with tree roots in the sewer line a few years ago. And then a broken pipe. Toilet paper would snag in the line and over time would create a blockage. The line would back up every three or four reservations creating an unuseable clogged toilet (since that is the lowest point.) I had to call a plumber to snake the toilet and clear the blockage every time. Toilet paper was essentially clogging the line but because of damaged plumbing. I am very surprised Airbnb charged a guest for this. 

@Emilia42  Yes, I guess something like this could happen. I had assumed that the plumber who was called who said it was clogged with toilet paper would have checked that out- why it was clogging. I guess it's a possibility that he didn't do a thorough enough assessment.

We also don't know what sort of listing this was. If it was a city condo or apartment, then it likely isn't that sort of problem, or everyone in the building would have backing up toilets. If it's a free standing house, especially out in the countryside where there are lots of trees, roots can for sure work their way into the pipes. I had that happen, luckily just a drain that takes the water away from the side of my house in rainy season, not a sewer pipe.

@Sarah977 Yeah, the toilet was working just fine when we arrive. 

I am not an expert with how a toilet works, but from my past experience, I do know that the clogging of a sewer drain could be a build up process. And I Googled a little bit, and found out the reason we could throw toilet paper into the toilet is that toilet paper will take time to dissolve in the paper, which by itself, takes time.

We have a few hypothesis: 

H1. this is a build-up process, but we are the one who nailed the coffin. 

H2. we have a large group of people sharing a single one toilet. In other words, we are overloading the toilet, and the toilet paper does not have enough time to dissolve. eventually led to the clogging.

H3.  one of us throw too much toilet paper into the toilet. 

I think we should not be responsible for this if H1 or H2 is the root-cause. But the overall point of argument here is that no one really knows what happened, and eventually, we were made to pay for this bill.

@Lingnan0  For sure, if there are 10 people using one toilet, that could easily lead to a clog. In that case, the host shouldn't listing a place with one toilet for 10 guests to share.

I know people who seem to need to wrap yards of toilet paper around their hand, when a half dozen sheets would do 🙂 And since I doubt you know the private bathroom habits of all 9 people in your group, someone could be one of those.

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Lingnan0 

Whosever fault this was aside, Airbnb actually put a charge on your credit card without your consent to pay for these damages? I am courious.