Check in impossible. Compensation?

Achim149
Level 1
Granada, Spain

Check in impossible. Compensation?

We spontaneously needed a host at 10pm. We find an Airbnb with direct booking and check-in till 12pm. Booking gets confirmed and we receive the instruction about opening a number-locker with the entrance key. We try to phone the host, but the phone is not taken. So we take our little baby and much luggage and cross the city with local transport and 15min walking. At 11pm we arrive and open the locker. But no key. We manage to contact the host and he sends a text saying that he is not in town and not able to give us access to the room. 

At this point, at 11.30pm with a now crying baby in the cold, the only solution is finding an expensive hotel room near by.

What are our rights? Is there recompensation for our expenses and struggle? How to proceed?

3 Replies 3
Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Achim149 so sorry that happened to you. You are entitled to a complete refund, of course. Airbnb might offer more in consideration of your having to book more expensive accommodations. Please call Airbnb.

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Achim149 

I would never book without contact the host first. I know an instant book is popular among guests and some hosts, but scenarios like yours are not uncommon

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

In your situation @Achim149 I think if you are a in a strange place, late at night with a little one and unexpectedly need to stay over, I would always stay in a hotel rather than a short term rental.

If you are going to book a STR late at night then definitely call the host before setting off to the listing. If you can't reach them then call Airbnb.

I am sorry you booked with a host that provided such poor service, if he wasn't available then he shouldn't have had his listing live. 

It is not at all clear from your post as to what Airbnb advised when you called them to let them know the place you booked was not available. Normally they would help you find an alternative or agree a contribution towards your hotel. Airbnb will give you your money back and may provide an additional small credit towards your hotel.

Make sure you leave an honest review for the host

What did Airbnb advise at the time?