Chicago BACP waiver - HELP

Maximos0
Level 1
Oakland, CA

Chicago BACP waiver - HELP

I received a letter saying that my registration was denied because the due to airbnb listing for non-primary residence in a building less than 4 units.  It looks like there's a way to apply for a waiver but I can't understand what documentation they are looking for... can anyone point me to resources or agencies that might be able to help?  I rely on the income to pay for the mortgage, and only have 10 days to appeal the decision =\

>>>

(1) relevant geography; (2) relevant population; (3) degree to which the sought adjustment varies from the prevailing limitations; (4) the size of the relevant building and the number of units contemplated for the proposed use; (5) the legal nature and history of the applicant; (6) the measures the applicant proposes to implement to maintain quiet and security in conjunction with the use; (7) any extraordinary economic hardship to the applicant, due to special circumstances, that would result from a denial; (8) any police reports or other records of illegal activity or municipal code violations at the location; (9) whether the affected neighbors support or object to the proposed use.

25 Replies 25

Kayla,

Are you free to chat tonight?  I could call you at 6:30 pm.  My number is nine seven eight eight four six one four zero eight.  

Alex

Hi Alex, I would love your help!

Hi Alex1111, 

I sent in our application for a Commissioner's Adjustment and included documentation for all the factors they ask for, but I got denied because of Factor 7 - I "didn't demonstrate extraordinary economic burden." We basically need rental income to be able to pay the mortgage on the building, and since we weren't able for many months to find traditional year-long renters, we went through the process of outfitting the unit, listing on Airbnb, and applying for city registration. It's a two flat, but not our primary residence (but we live nearby). The Chicago BACP's  letter says I was denied on the grounds that paying the mortgage is a NORMAL economic burden, that any business would need to consider, and thus my situation doesn't qualify as extraordinary burden.

Could you  (or others) possibly share or advise on what qualifies as an extraordinary economic burden? I understand that some people list on Airbnb to make a profit, but when others need it to try to not go into financial distress and ruin, it seems that it's not good enough.  I'm not sure what we would possibly qualify and what evidence to provide.

Thanks so much. 

hi chandra35.

I was wondering if you find out what qualifies as extraordinary economic burden? i got denied for the same reason and ensure quiet and security to the community. please let know and thank you

@Chandra35 I was wondering if you find out what qualifies as extraordinary economic burden? i got denied for the same reason and ensure quiet and security to the community. please let know and thank you

If you could please help i am having the same issue.

Hello there, I was able to find this application as well but it is asking me a pin the submit the application. Were you able to find this? if so where?

Thanks 

Samuel327
Level 2
Chicago, IL

Hi, I'm going in for my hearing date at the end of the month. I'm curious if you guys have found any other good online resources for answering some of these questions? Points One and Two in particular? Where would we find that info? What should we say there that might actually help our case?

Any other tips and tricks from folks that have been successful with this? How many neighbor letters did you get? Anything else that you think the commissioner is looking to hear? Thanks much.

Hi Samuel,

Did you have any luck during your hearing?

I love that airbnb gives the option to reply to threads and comments, but no way to alert users to the responses.

That being said, I'm providing an update based on our experience.

I wound up going down to an in-person hearing in 2019 and having them approve my appeal. Provided all the info and two letters from neighbors. Had to sign a 'code of conduct' agreement and that was settled.

Flash forward to now, we tried to renew our registration and were denied. We appealed and were denied based on our inability to show 'extraordinary hardship.'

At this point, I think we're just going to shut it down. The city has made it too difficult to keep operating legally.

Sean364
Level 2
Chicago, IL

Following this thread - I'm going through the same process to host in two units of the three flat that I own and live in.