Co-Host with Spouse

Lauris-and-Gene0
Level 3
Wilmington, NC

Co-Host with Spouse

I just set up our AirBnB and we are excited to get started. I am trying to set my husband up as a co-host so that he can sign in with his own account and see our activity, requests, etc.  I get as far as "invite a friend," enter his email and agree to the terms, and then when I click "Invite a Friend" nothing happens. I suppose the alternative is to tell him to simply log on as me, but that doesn't seem like a good way to do it. Any advice?

7 Replies 7
Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

When you say "nothing happens" what do you mean? He does not receive the invitation email?

Lauris-and-Gene0
Level 3
Wilmington, NC

"Nothing happens" meaning that the screen does not change; it appears that it is still waiting for me to click on the "Invite a Friend" box. I tried clicking it again, but it just sits there and stares at me. LOL

Lauris-and-Gene0
Level 3
Wilmington, NC

Ha! And my idea of simply telling my husband to log in as me didn't work either! I went to log in to my account on his computer to show him how to do it and surprise! It would not let me log in except as his account. So now my question is does that mean I would never be able to log in to my account on someone else's computer - while traveling or whatever? This makes no sense.

Lauris

So maybe I need to set up a "Team" instead of a co-host ?

@Lauris-and-Gene0  there is a glitch on the co-host function at the moment- lots of hosts can't add co-hosts for some reason.

There are a couple of threads on the CC about it.

A host who is trying to add me got in touch with customer services who are looking into it.

John2406
Level 10
Swansea, United Kingdom

@Lauris & Gene As a new host, I too hoped to have been able to set up my wife as a Co-host, although in my case (a few weeks ago, when the system then was obviously working) an email was sent to her email address, BUT........

.....what you probably assumed (as I, and possibly many other hosts' might have!) would be a simple process of 'nominating' one's spouse or partner to be your"Co-host", actually isn't what Airbnb are 'talking about!

Put into simple English (as I  sometimes get carried away in explaining things!) a "Co-host" to me means someone who works alongside me, who could take over if I was ill or absent, or to whom everything would default if I suddenly snuffed it (i.e. died!)

In Airbnb-talk however, a "Co-host" is a friend-who-lives-down-the-road, or round the corner, or someone who might be willing or prepared to (in your absence) attend to your bookings, contact and correspond with your Guests, welcome your Guests when they arrive, attend to any of your Guests when they might have a query, and anything else that the 'title' " actually involves!

Having said that, unless the Host decides to make ex-gratia payments to her/his/their "Co-host", or to set up a regular payment to him/her, the 'position' of "Co-host" isn't designed to receive any financial reward for doing any of those 'tasks', and furthermore, s/he isn't able to place reviews or responses to those of Guests in her/his own right!

Needless to say, although I did comment to Airbnb about what I feel is a misclassification of the term "Co-host" (no reply/feedback received), I cancelled my request for my wife to be a "Co-host", as although she's also my best friend, she neither lives down-the-road, or around the corner, and she's fully my "Co-host" in everything bar Airbnb's own meaning.  Furthermore  -  and I can't see how Airbnb could disctate or act otherwise  -  should she wish to access my account, and do everything and/or more than a "Co-host" is allowed to do  -  she has my full blessing.

So I finally re-read the information about creating a "Team," and realized it might work for what I wanted to do. I set my spouse up as a team member and he can now access the information about our guests and also accept or reject etc in my absense. Near as I can tell, it is doing exactly what I wanted. Amazing!