Co hosting fees

Donna993
Level 2
Mudgee, Australia

Co hosting fees

Hello from Australia 🇦🇺 

I was wondering if someone can help me with co-hosting and charging.

i am taking on a couple of unique Airbnb properties in September and the owners are 3 hrs from the properties so I will be in charge of the cleaning, meeting with guests when needed to show them around the property, collecting linen and dropping back to a linen hire company, purchasing groceries and restocking of essentials, ensuring property maintenance needs when needed and being on call to guests etc.  my question is-

how much / percentage of the nightly booking should I charge? (cleaning will be charged separately) also can this percentage be factored into the service fee and if so how? I don’t have control of the bookings at all.

much much appreciate your help. Thank you x

15 Replies 15
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

It is up to you to decide what pricing model you want for your business. I presume the owners have chosen you because of your previous experience of co-hosting/managing STRs.

You can charge by the hour or as a percentage. Make sure you have a legally robust T&Cs to cover all areas of your support for hosts too.

Have you done your market research into what pricing models your competition are offering...if not start there and then work out what business model you are offering and how long various element of the service take. @Donna993 

Paul1255
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Donna993  I hope you are well.

Congratulations on becoming a co-host if you're new to the game!

The only experience I had when I started my co-hosting business was 12 months of letting a private room in my apartment on Airbnb, and in no way does in-home hosting give you the skills required to be a successful host or co-host of an entire property listing.

Anyway that's by the by, to answer your question: the % fee you charge could be affected by a number of things such as the nightly price/size of the listings, the number of bookings and the length of those bookings.

A good place for you to start if you haven't already is to gather some information from the owners/their airbnb listings about their nightly pricing and the properties- this will help you work out a % that is going to work for you, factoring in the amount work you'll need to do for each booking.

Your cleaning fee (usually a set $ amount depending on bedrooms/bathrooms and factoring in time) should cover any work you need to do in terms of housekeeping/bathroom essential restocks, and probably won't change unless there is additional work to complete outside of your standard housekeeping routine.

I charge my clients a management fee of between 15 and 25% depending on the property to give you an idea, generally the smaller the property/lower the nightly rate, the higher the fee.

I charge a lot more than management companies in my area, because I wouldn't be able to make a living charging their very low fees (if you're managing 100s of properties you can charge a lower fee on all of them) but I offer a much more detailed, bespoke and personal service- and this is what my clients are paying for.

The property owners can factor in your management and cleaning fees to their bookings by ensuring they have a cleaning fee added to their listing, and by increasing their nightly rates accordingly- but there is a cost to using a third party to provide a service, and I am sure as long as you're demonstrating your value the property owner will be happy to pay.

You might want to consider charging a separate fee for purchasing and stocking up groceries depending on the amount you'd be buying and time taken to do this- I don't know where the listings are based and how easy it would be for guests to do their own grocery shopping on arrival etc

I charge quite a high emergency call-out fee for if things go wrong- the aim of this being to encourage my clients to understand the importance of regular property maintenance to minimise out of hours call outs and preventable issues arising.

Your co-hosting agreement and payment terms etc is something important to consider, if you need some detailed information about this, or anything I've mentioned above then drop me a private message and I'll be happy to help you out!

Best wishes with it all.

Paul 🙂

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Great advice @Paul1255 . Out of interest. 

What would you say are the main differences between hosting a shared listing and managing a whole listing? In my experience I found that managing my own listing as a homeshare host gave me lots of skills I would need to co-host whole listings such as understanding how to vet guests, red flags, managing cancellations and changes to bookings, managing cleaning staff, understanding how to liaise with airbnb etc.

I co-host a couple of whole listings (not Airbnb) and for me, I find there are more guests that leave them in an untidy state so require more cleaning/longer turnaround times. I have also found there is more damage/'missing' items.

I also find you have to be more vigilant about vetting guests to ensure they aren't here to party.

I only work with hosts who offer self-check in, have CCTV and their own home insurance for STRs.

Paul1255
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Helen3  The main difference for me is the workload, and also client management.

That's interesting you find more guests leaving your co-hosted places untidy or needing more cleaning- and damages etc.

I wonder if that comes down to the different platform you use to list those properties.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

No, I think it's because with a homeshare situation, guests are much more likely to look after your home when you are there.  @Paul1255 

I haven't had any particularly bad issues with whole listings, it's just that some guests are a little messier. They may not wash up or recycle properly and some have left messy sheets and stained towels.

Hey there Paul, @Paul1255 

thank you so much for your detailed response I really appreciate it.

The properties are 10 mins out of town and they are quite unique! One is an old farming Silo which has one for sleeping in, one for kitchen and one for the bathroom.  It will require me to meet and greet the guests to show them how to turn on the hot water and power.  It’s normally dark when they arrive as mudgee is 3 hrs from Sydney and people normally leave Friday after work.  It’s located on a farm.  The other property is located on the same farm and it’s a little cottage. 

The owners will do all bookings with myself being on as co hosting.  I have been working on the property for 2 years now with the current owners doing the cleaning only as they lived in the main house so they did everything else.  I helped out when you would travel overseas for months.  I will be staying on with the new owners.  Hope this all makes sense.  I’m preparing a proposal and I think 20% is fair per nightly booking.  Cleaning will be separate and linen hire and washing.  I will be on call if anything goes wrong and it sometimes does.  I will let you know what the new owners think about my proposal.

thanks again 😀

Louise782
Level 2
Townsville, Australia

Hi @Helen3 and @Paul1255   I've just read your replies above and I"m wondering if you could fill me in on the insurance piece.  I"m in Australia.  I'm a super host and about to list a friend's place under my profile and mange the whole place (she's taking off for work to another part of the country).  So I understand airbnb provide the host guest guarantee and protection insurance.  I have also invested in house insurance that allows me to host airbnb guests 91 nights over a 12 month period.  Should I be advising my friend to take out a similar home insurance policy on top of what airbnb provide?  If I am hosting her property under my profile, and something goes wrong, I assume I would then be responsible for activating airbnb's insurance?  If the booking was made under my profile, guests trashed her house and she needed to access her home insurance policy, could she do that if I'm technically responsible for hosting her guests?  Am I making sense here?  Your advice much appreciated.  Louise

Yes, you need your own insurance. Airbnb's host guarantee is a total joke. If a guest causes damage, you first have to try to collect from the guest on the security deposit in place. But Airbnb doesn't actually take a security deposit from guests, or put a hold on their credit card, so if the guest denies responsibility, or refuses to pay, which is the most common scenario with guests who abuse homes, then you have to deal with Airbnb. And getting them to pay out is like pulling teeth. And everything will be "depreciated" so you won't get anything nearly like what it costs to replace, and you most likely will get nothing. 

Do not depend on Airbnb at all. You're on your own.

@Louise782

Hi Sarah, thanks for your reply.  @Sarah977  I've been doing a bit more research and it looks like the two insurances offered by airbnb are quite comprehensive, but it is a grey area and it very much depends which country you're in as to whether there's an insurance company that will insure for occasional stays and allow you to purchase a home and contents to cover you when you are back living in your home.

Does anyone else have experience of this in Australia?  I hear in the UK share cover backs IAG?  

"I've been doing a bit more research and it looks like the two insurances offered by airbnb are quite comprehensive..."

If you are talking about the host guarantee and protection insurance, as I said, putting your faith in those should a guest do extensive damage would be quite foolish.

@Louise782

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

You shouldn’t list your friend’s place under your profile but should help her set up her own profile and list there so if in future she wants to manage it herself or use someone else she can do so. @Louise782 

you can then be set up as her co-host

yes she should have her own insurance for STRs

Louise782
Level 2
Townsville, Australia

Hi.  Can I also check if any of you have created (or purchased)  a property owners appointment form including terms and conditions to set up hosting someone else's property properly?  I see there's a lady from milliondollarhost.com.au selling a pro forma document.  Thank you.  Louise

@Donna993 @Paul1255 @Helen3 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I wouldn’t try and create a legally binding document myself. @Louise782  I don’t have the knowledge to do so. 

I help co-host a place in London (not through Airbnb) and had a solicitor help draw up a contract including services provided, payment terms etc. 

I don’t know if the proforma you mentioned is based on one drawn up by a lawyer - I would check. 

Louise782
Level 2
Townsville, Australia

Thank you @Helen3 .  Once I have something I might send it to you and you can review it against yours?  Much appreciated.  Louise