Communication rating

Communication rating

I just had a guest who did not communicate other than to initially book. I reached out her several times and did not get any responses. I had no idea when she was going to check in or if she was going to be a no show. She showed up on my doorstep at 8pm wnd said she hadn't received any of my messages. Even if she somehow didnt receive them, shouldn't there be an expectation that a guest will send more than the initial booking? How many stars would you give her for communication and how would you review her? Thanks

8 Replies 8
Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Was this a new-to-Airbnb guest, @Pam-and-John0? Either way, they'd get a low rating for communications from me. 

She had about 4 previous reviews. How many stars do you think? How would you phrase the review? Thanks 

Jody79
Level 10
Chicago, IL

@Pam-and-John0 One quick question, did you message her through the ABB app or website or reply via the ABB text on your phone?  We learned the hard way that if you message via text through your phone it doesn't always go through.  As a result we now make sure we always use the ABB app or website when messaging guests.

We messaged via ABB

Jody79
Level 10
Chicago, IL

@Pam-and-John0 The only way I can imagine they missed your messages then is if they neglected to check their ABB account.  I agree with the others, I'd lower the communication score.  As a guest, I generally message the host about a week out just to make sure everything is still set.  I message again when we've arrived and when we leave.  Also respond to any inquiries they've made.  Exactly what to rate her,  I'd wait to see how her communication is throughout the stay and base it on that.  Definitely not a 5* though.

Thanks! I'm thinking I will just state the facts that the only communication I ever got from her was the initial booking. I see other reviews marked her down for communication, but then gave her a glowing review:great guest, etc. Seems other hosts have the right to know that she didnt communicate in this booking.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Pam-and-John0   Some guests don't have their notifications set, so they don't realize they have an airbnb message waiting. What I've done before when I don't get a response in a reasonable amount of time is to text the guest's phone#, telling them to please check their Airbnb messages and respond to me, or, if they are from another country that my phone plan doesn't cover, contact Airbnb, who can usually make contact with the guest.

That said, that's one of the reasons I don't use IB- the type of guests who think they can just book a place and show up at the door on check-in day.

For sure, 3*s or less for communication, and mention it in the review. The fact that other hosts have already mentioned it, and she still doesn't bother to communicate, seems to indicate that she just doesn't think it's important, rather than her not receiving the messages. And if she really isn't receiving the messages and saw that it was a problem for past hosts, you'd think she'd be more diligent about checking messages or making sure her notifications options are working.

Thanks for your helpful responses!