Complaint regarding a guest fall and action process

Sandy420
Level 1
Newbold Coleorton, United Kingdom

Complaint regarding a guest fall and action process

If you have a fall at an Airbnb host property because there is an uneven floor level as you come down the open stairs directly on to the living room carpet, who is responsible for that. You could not visually see the uneven floor as under the fitted carpet and no alcohol or drunken behaviour was involved. I am 52 years old and arrived with my husband as the first ones at the property. We were simply unloading the car. I took the first bag up to the bedroom and on the way down the stairs stepped with my left leg onto the lounge carpet where it was uneven and I did on the very edge of the two differing floor heights, fell into the lower bit and twisted my foot under me breaking my foot. There were no warning signs of this uneven floor. It could not been seen but could be felt once you knew it was there. Other people on our stay could clearly feel it too once you knee it was there. Upon advising the owner of the problem they sounded horrified, said they hadn't been to the property in a while and did not know of this problem and the cleaner hadn't said anything, would inspect straight the way, wished me well and sent me flowers. On asking for an update as to the reason of the uneven floor and any action taken they said I had to go through airbnb. They made me fill out a claim form for third party legal assessment if whether there was any negligence of the hosts. I should at least get the cost of the accommodation back and loss of theatre tickets since as can not go. Can't drive or work for minimum 6 weeks and A&E confirmed a break not just a sprained ankle and had to have my foot and leg plastered up to my knee. Lack of mobility as the main driver for our family has caused all sorts of problems. Airbus are not checking problem of health and safety matter sorted at specific property and its still on their website as available to rent despite Airbnb being told of health and safety concerns and their slogan being 'your safety is our priority'

4 Replies 4
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I am not quite sure what help you are looking for on this forum @Sandy420  it sounds as if the host did the right thing and put you in touch with those handling airbnb's liability insurance so you can make a claim @Sandy420 

How do you know that the host hasn't resolved any issue that might have led to the fall.

Sandy420
Level 1

Host and Airbnb won't tell me. Don't you think I have asked?  I have asked. Host who says speak to Airbnb, Airbnb don't answer the question. Has the property been inspected and fitted carpet pulled back to establish what has happened underneath and how has it been fixed for the next guests at the property. If Airbnb don't know why are they still showing the property on their website when a health and safety issue has been raised with them. The uneven floor level was not visible.  It could be felt as could the consequences when falling over on the hidden height difference. How do I know if host knew about it already but hasn't sorted it out, how does the guest going after me know of this health and safety risk that has been raised if nothing on website highlighting this and showing how resolved now and property showing on website still open for bookings. Why does only host get to see full reviews made after stays and no other party does, not even the person who made that review. Only get to see a summary review part and issues of cleanliness, location, check in etc were all good as all the reviews summarise but what about the full reviews made by guests. Who is responsible for checking the property before new guests arrive to ensure issues of safety and trip hazards especially on and coming off stairs and floor stability.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Sorry @Sandy420  this is a forum for hosts and guests and as such we don't have any answers to the questions you ask. Why don't you just ask the host what action they have taken following your accident to fix the issue.

Sandy420
Level 1

I was a guest a couple of weeks ago. Hence my questions. As a guest I had an accident in a host property through no fault of my own. The floor is a heavily used area immediately as you come down the stairs onto the lounge floor and not in a hidden corner or anything. It was uneven under the carpet and not if one floor height.  Can I only proceed through Airbnb host claim protection procedure (where is the guest protection in all this when thinking you're using a site with some protection as safety at its core). As a guest what can I do. Is it Airbnb at fault in some ways for not questioning and then making publicly known a health and safety issue that has been raised directly to them and the host has asked for all correspondence go through Airbnb. Can I communicate on these matters through the host to see what they found after investigation and how it has been addressed for future guests safety. I did not trip over a rug, or slip on a wooden stair that I could see and take care of by knowing it was there. I fell on the differential floor heights hidden under a carpet. What as a guest are my rights in all this and finding out conclusions on the problem with the floor and how corrected. Hosts won't talk only through Airbnb, Airbnb won't answer. What are my rights as a guest