Confused about refund adjustment/payout timeline

Answered!
Emily145
Level 8
Takoma Park, MD

Confused about refund adjustment/payout timeline

Hoping someone can help me with this.

A couple weeks ago, I had a guest staying for 4 nights who ran into some bad luck and needed to go home after just 2 nights. I agreed to refund her for the 2 unused nights out of compassion for what she was going through. I adjusted the reservation date and amount in AirBnB, she accepted the adjustment, and as far as I know she got her refund. This was on August 11, and created a negative payout balance of about $175. This I understand.

My next guest arrived five days later, on August 16. I have my payout preferences set to deliver 70% to one bank account and 30% to a separate account (setting aside for income taxes). The 70% payment of $95 went through with a send date of August 16 in my Completed Transactions tab, but the 30% payment of $40 is still sitting in my Future Tranactions tab, also with a send date of August 16.

I had another guest who arrived on the 21st and has just checked out this morning. Both transactions, for $180 and $76, are sitting in the Future Transactions tab with a send date of August 21. 

My "Pending Payout" amount is now a positive $120 since the three held payments are more than enough to cover the adjustment. Everything up to this point I understand.

What I don't understand is why those payments are still being held? When the $180 transaction was due to payout on August 21, that should have been more than enough to cover the adjustment, and release the remaining $120 to me. There's no indication on the tab as to when I can expect those payments to go through.

1 Best Answer
Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Emily145

I believe there is a bug connected to amended bookings.  You would need to contact airbnb to sort the issue.

View Best Answer in original post

7 Replies 7
Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Emily145

I believe there is a bug connected to amended bookings.  You would need to contact airbnb to sort the issue.

@Marit-Anne0 Thank you. I've just sent them an email. Who knows how long I'd have been waiting otherwise, thinking it would come through eventually on its own!

@Emily145

Had exactly the same experience with an amended booking. It was sorted very quickly - on the next payout run they told me, and next day the payout message was there. 

I have also seen others reporting the same problem.

Speaking of BUGS....in the system with airbnb...

I am serching for a resolution and came upon this thread. Although mine is very different, It is unexeptable to have my situation. I too agreed not charge a booked guest when they had to cancel. There was a family with a daughter who broke a bone prior to thier stay and it required them to cancell thier vacation. Of course I agreed to refund/release, ALL of thier money not withholding any of it, as it was the right thing to do. Flash forward 2 YEARS later, YES 2 YEARS!!! and I see a current payment from a guest short over -$350. What the heck? An ADJUSTMENT OVER-$350 ouch! What has happened?

I called right away and talked to Shiela from airbnb. We finally got to the bottom of it, and the only explanation is that "IT" would have to look at it and get back to me later. I asked for a supervisor and I am still waiting for a call back over 48 hours later. I made a follow-up call talked to another representitive, very nice and he said there are good notes on the case but Sheila and her supervisor will call back shortly and..... still nothing. Again I have not budgeted to have my payment short after 2 years. I am not prepared to deduct that money after 2 years. How in the world does that happen? It scares the heck out me that my money is trusted to this "Buggy IT" problem.

I hope this is an isolated incident, but here we are. Bugged in California "Super Host". Hoping for  resolution I'll let you know, Steve

@Steve572 were you able to get it resolved? I am going through the same thing where Airbnb adjusted the payout for my current guests for two guests who received refunds from me in 2016 (4 years ago). I opened the issue 7 days ago and have called the help line 4 times. No one has even viewed my ticket on the resolution side.

Emily145
Level 8
Takoma Park, MD

I wanted to update that I got a very prompt response from AirBnB customer service. She saw that there was indeed some kind of error holding up my payments and told me she'd reported it to whoever it needed to be reported to be fixed, and that I should see my payouts get pushed out within 48 hours. 

I'll come back here and update sometime next week if the money comes through or not, but I wanted anyone reading the forums to see that some problems (hopefully!) get solved quickly and easily.

Linda-And-Greg0
Level 3
Castro Valley, CA

I am having difficulty with an amended payout, also.  The amended process has a bug and I had to call Airbnb to shorten a guest’s stay. Now I’m being told that it will take 10-15 business days to show the amended amount in my paypal account. There’s no reason for that in today’s electronic transfer world and it has taken three calls for me to get this new bit of info.