Crazy Questions and Unusual Requests

Stephen-and-Adam0
Level 7
Santiago de Querétaro, Mexico

Crazy Questions and Unusual Requests

Just for fun, what are the craziest questions and most unusual requests you have received from prospective guests?

Inspired by a recent enquiry if our New York skyline in the second bedroom is a real window view.  The apartment is in Dublin, Ireland, and that's a wall mural... at least it gave me a smile 🙂 

Adam

8 Replies 8
Paul1255
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

ahaha @Stephen-and-Adam0 that's a great enquiry :)))

Mine are all boring questions that are always answered in the listing description, yawn.

But your post reminded me of an answer another host gave to a similar post once, and their guest asked if they could land their seaplane on the lake bedside their house! I loved that and it has clearly stayed with me.

Paul.

Luana130
Level 10
State of Bahia, Brazil

Well, I don't know if this one counts, but the stragest request I had, was an instant booking that came with the message...The full dates I want are not available on your calendar, but I need it. I explained that I already had a booking for those dates. It took some convincing to get him to cancel the booking, he kept insisting. I don't know what he expected. Did he really think I would cancel the other guest?

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

"For business and entreprener hubs, where do you suggest?"

This is little fishing village turned tourist mecca/surf spot. I don't know where she thought she was travelling to.

Michelle53
Level 10
Chicago, IL

I don't know if these could really be called "crazy requests" but I often get asked if people could bring their own coffee maker/fan/miscellaneous appliance. 

Folks often travel with a lot of electronics and other electrical items. One time I had someone plug something in that tripped my fuse box. Luckily, I was at home at the time, otherwise my guests would have been completely in the dark. 

I do worry about folks travelling with non-local-compliant electronics. I think most phones, tablets and laptops are dual voltage, and I provide hair dryers,  but other miscellaneous plug-ins - who knows ?

I used to have a converter - but it "walked" and I haven't replaced it. 

Stephen-and-Adam0
Level 7
Santiago de Querétaro, Mexico

@Michelle53  The random items that have "walked" could be another interesting topic entirely 🙂  

Andrea-and-Francis0
Level 10
Mississauga, Canada

One guest asked for a larger cooking pot (even though we supply a range of sizes in the basement kitchen for their use) so I gave her a bigger one (from our own kitchen) & she told me it was now too big, some days you just can't win lol 🙂

Aha @Andrea-and-Francis0  the Goldilocks principle in action! 

An Airbnb host needs the patience of a saint 🙂  

Drayton1
Level 2
Cincinnati, OH

Just this week had a guest that said it was cold in his room last night. I said ok sorry to hear that would you like a heavier blanket or comforter. He said no and asked what temperature I keep the thermostat at  I said 68degrees he said oh he needs it at 78 or 80 I told him he would need to go to the tropics then because no way I was going to have temp at 78 or 80 . So he asked if I had a space heater, I stated no we do not have a space heater because they are a fire hazardous. mind you our house is a fairly new home and well insulated. So I put heavier blankets and comforter  in his room. Next day I looked in his room blankets and comforter still in chair never used and what did I see plugged in on floor A ROTATING SPACE HEATER! I was livid but since it was his last night I never mentioned that I saw it and heard it running! SMH