Discussion: On-site hosting vs getting a hotel

Discussion: On-site hosting vs getting a hotel

Hello all,

I would like to get a discussion going about on-site hosting.  I feel there hasn't been sufficient or in-depth discussion on this topic in terms of how it affects pricing and rentability.

What are the pros and cons of staying in your home vs getting a hotel?

How much does it affect our rate or rentability?

Has anyone gone back and forth between getting a hotel and on-site hosting?

What differences did you notice?

If you have any resources/articles to recommend, please do share!  Or link me to another forum post that you've seen.

Thank you!

5 Replies 5
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Host4 What are you talking about? And you have no listings as a host, and you have no posting history here, so what do you mean by "I feel there hasn't been sufficient or in-depth discussion on this topic in terms of how it affects pricing and rentability."? Are you just trolling?

I'm trying to help an elderly family member set up their account.

I have done quite a bit of research and have found there to be very few resources on how much on-site hosting affects pricing and rentability  which is my main concern.  Should my family stay in the home as an onsite host OR should they spend the money on a hotel?  We are trying to make the right decision because we don't want to mess up their account and get a bad review.

In terms of your trolling  comment: I just don't see how this topic seems like trolling to you, but no I am not trolling.

Thanks

@Host4   There are a ton of variables.  What kind of house is it?  What is the competition like?  What do people come to the area for, e.g. are they out all day sightseeing or is it an area people come and want to hang out at a 'vacation home'?  How much privacy can you offer if you are an on site host, is the room/rooms en suite, do they have a private entrance, will the guest feel they are getting privacy or is it just a bedroom with everything else shared. 

Both legally and logistically, there are benefits to being an on site host, especially as it allows for the host to keep an eye on things.

I would really question whether it would make financial sense to rent the house and then still have to pay for a hotel, unless its a very cheap hotel and a very expensive house rental.

Dimitar27
Level 10
Sofia, Bulgaria

Hotels and hosting are not the same market. If you run a hotel with 50 rooms, it will be significantly cheaper than running 50 separate listings on ABB or other site. And your profit from one reservation will be much higher. Operating a hotel, you can sell reservations as a pack- 200-300  to touring agents. Its easier. You know how busy you will be in the beginning of the season. You can have 2-3-5 levels ot retailers, you can have you own advertising, you can combine services like flight+hotel+rent a car+...anything else.

As a hotel user....you have reception, 24/7 service., etc...

Hotel business is a high-profit and high-speed business. For both sides- the business owner and the customer.

With hosting...speed is tremendously lower.

Wendy117
Level 10
Bexley, Australia

@Host4  My opinion, Chalk and cheese.  You book an airbnb property if you want the extra space and amenities of a home.  You book a hotel if you want just a bedroom and bathroom and daily service. How can you compare prices between chalk and cheese?