Do I charge extra? If so how much extra should I charge?

Cindy644
Level 2
Edmonton, Canada

Do I charge extra? If so how much extra should I charge?

Im fairly new to hosting on Airbnb. I have a question regarding extra charges. I have a family coming to stay for 7 days at Christmas. I charge an extra $10 per night for each person over 2. My rules states no parties or events. My guest asked if he could have his parents and some co workers over for dinner. I asked how many, he said an extra 15 people. He also stated he would pay extra if needed. Should I charge extra? Should I allow the extra people? Thanks in advance.

3 Replies 3
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

What a truly stunning space @Cindy644 

Would your place even accommodate having an extra 15 people on top of your guests sit down for dinner, do you have enough cutlery, plates, glasses, chairs? What about sofa's? What about bathroom space?

I would not allow this. Having 15 people over in addition to your guests is a party. @Cindy644 

If they have co-workers and parents living locally, then they can host the party.

Just say that your listing is not suitable for use by so many guests and suggest some nice nearby restaurants they could consider.

To be honest your lovely space looks ideal for a party so you will attract those wanting to do so. Make sure your house rules say that only those who book and pay can be on the promises and that having guests on the premises who haven't booked is likely to lead to a cancellation of the booking.

If you have nearby neighbours also have house rules around late night noise, particularly outside.

Also do make sure you have CCTV to monitor use of your property and your own home insurance to cover short term lets as the Airbnb Guarantee has many exclusions.

Thank you so much for the feedback! I have one more question for you. I have someone requesting to get early check in ( 4 hours early) do you allow this? If so do you charge extra?

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I don't allow check in's that are four hours early as I need that time to clean and prepare the property. (although I might allow an hour or so but can't confirm till nearer the arrival time). @Cindy644 

I give guests recommendations of local places for lunch or local attractions if they want to arrive earlier than my check in time and details of local left luggage places.

If you want to allow early check in times, you can charge for it as long as you mention in your house rules that you charge for early check in's. You could charge by the half day, say if that works for you.