Edmonton, Canada Insurance Options

Answered!
Corey-and-Darrell0
Level 2
Edmonton, Canada

Edmonton, Canada Insurance Options

Hello

We own 3 Airbnb condo properties in Edmonton, AB Canada and we are having difficuty finding an insurance company that will insure us given we operate solely an Airbnb rental. They deem the property as high risk and commercial. Does anyone have any recommendations on an insurance compnay or broker that would insure Airbnb style rentals?

thank you

1 Best Answer

we didn't use a broker we got our policy through SquareOne insurance.

View Best Answer in original post

20 Replies 20
Karen-and-Brian0
Level 10
Bragg Creek, Canada

Hi @Corey-and-Darrell0 We had the same problem, we're in Calgary - the one insurance company that our broker was able to find who would insure us for Airbnb was Premier Insurance. We had to switch to a commercial policy so it was more expensive, but they were able to insure us fully. Hope that helps! - Karen

wawanesa is my commercial insurer for Airbnb 

@Danny0 That's interesting! We had our cabin insured with Wawanesa & they declined to continue to insure us when we told them we wanted to do Airbnb. Guess it varies province to province. 

Perhaps thing shave changed at Wawanesa in the meantime. My broker is Chris Mellor Associates and they founmd Wawanesa for me. I don't know if Chris Mellor works in Alberta or not, but worth a try

Hey Danny,

I did a quick google to get the local Wawanesa address, thinking I'd stop by to talk to them tomorrow. Google returned a good collection of really poor reviews for the company that's worth having a quick browse. It was enough to scare me off or at least to put in a fair bit of research into the company. Thanks for the heads-up, though!

Hi Danny, I have been  with them for 15 years.  Even had to make a water damage claim that was substantial.  They were wonderful to deal with.  Thats when you really find out- when there is a problem.  I am in Red Deer, Alberta.

Hi! I am in Calgary but manage a property at Gull Lake Alberta and will be hosting for other owners there soon. Do you guys have a Property Management License or other business license? For our own place we don't have anything like that but I am wondring if/what we need as we take on more properties. Thanks!

HI- I'm in Bragg Creek as well, and also just informed by the Bragg broker that Wawanesa is dumping me effective immediately having heard of me doing Air BnB.   By the way, the Bragg Air Bnb folks have formed a bit of a collective to work with Rockyview as we all received 'non compliance' letters.  Feel free to contact me if you want to know more.  I'm Papa, Mama and Baby Bear cabins in Bragg Creek.   Thanks Sherri 

Glenn25
Level 1
Edmonton, Canada

Hello Corey And Darrell,

Just wondering if you had any luck in Edmonton?  Our insurer is dropping us b/c we want to do airbnb.

Thanks

Glenn

Hello Glenn

Yes we were successful in using Square One. They do have some limitations but the price is right and it covers us for everything needed.

Hope this helps

Thanks 

Hi Corey and Darrel

We are just getting started with our rental...We have a property in Parksville, BC..Are you talking about insurance coverage for the property or something else? Our strata fee covers the building insurance, so we need to get content insurance as well. Are you talking about a liability insurance??

Thanks for your help

Joanne (newbie)

My broker insures my "tourist home" through Llyods of London. I'm in Quebec.

Is it rude to ask who your broker is? We're a heritage home and have a  few other things going against us so it's difficult finding insurance to begin with but it'd be a terrific property for AirBnB. Thank you!

Scott.

we didn't use a broker we got our policy through SquareOne insurance.