Enquiry from a guest who wants to view the property before booking

Answered!
Jo506
Level 2
Wellington, New Zealand

Enquiry from a guest who wants to view the property before booking

I have an enquiry from a potential guest who wants to see my apartment before making a booking

I have referred her to the Airbnb article www.airbnb.com/help/article/47/what-do-i-do-if-a-guest-wants-to-see-my-place-before-booking and suggested she read the reviews, descriptions and look at the photos.  However, she still wants to see the place as she is concerned that if she doesn't like it, and then what will happen.  I currently have a moderate cancellation policy.

I'd like some advice on how I should continue to handle this request.  Thanks so much!

1 Best Answer
Mark1412
Level 5
Michigan, United States

This is not uncommon with hotels. I have worked at a lot of hotels where it was common for someone wanting to see the place before checking in. Sometimes a loved one/friend will be putting up someone or will recommend a place to stay while in town, and feel more comfortable seeing the place for themselves. Having the guest look at the place allows you to resolve any issues or avoid issues before the guest arrives.

The red flag for me would be why would someone who has to be local want to rent your place. I'm willing to bet there is more to this story than we know.

View Best Answer in original post

25 Replies 25
Mark1412
Level 5
Michigan, United States

This is not uncommon with hotels. I have worked at a lot of hotels where it was common for someone wanting to see the place before checking in. Sometimes a loved one/friend will be putting up someone or will recommend a place to stay while in town, and feel more comfortable seeing the place for themselves. Having the guest look at the place allows you to resolve any issues or avoid issues before the guest arrives.

The red flag for me would be why would someone who has to be local want to rent your place. I'm willing to bet there is more to this story than we know.

Linda-And-Richard0
Level 10
San Antonio, TX

Hi @Jo506 As Mark stated, this person must be local if they available to see the apartment prior to booking.   Ask her about plans for her stay and who else will be using the property.   I've read many story here on the CC where a local booked the property and the place was used for a party.  Beware of booking to locals.

Jo506
Level 2
Wellington, New Zealand

Thanks for your responses and suggestions.  I had those concerns too.  She is new to Airbnb and has no reviews.  I have asked her to explain her plans and even suggested she book a short stay with me prior to her long term booking to make sure the place meets her needs and I can get to meet her too.

Hopefully we can work this out!

@Jo506,  I think that is a good plan. I just showed one of my listings today to a couple that was in town. They confirmed a reservation 2 days ago for a two-week period in September. Their son and daughter-in-law live in the area and are expecting their second child this summer. They asked me if they could see the apartment now as they were nearby. Since they are already confirmed, we were able to exchange cell phone numbers. They came to take a look today and they have a better idea of where they will be staying come September and feel confident in the booking. I have no problem doing this as long as I have a reason for their visit and can establish a little bit of a relationship with the person. 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Emilia42 @Jo506  Yes, it's quite different circumstances. Emilia already had a confirmed booking with her guests and good communication and felt that they were above board, no red flags. The girl Jo is dealing with isn't in that category.

And Jo- no way I'd take a long term booking from someone new to Airbnb, no reviews, and still insisting to see the place after you directed her to the appropriate policy.

Sara654
Level 3
Oxnard, CA

I just got this request yesterday. A local person with no feedback, looking for a place for male friend arriving in June for 4 days. Yesterday, I also got notice that I need to register my property and start paying taxes. This is the third time in almost 2 years the city has contacted me. My property does not fall in that category. I think they just want to do an inspection of my property. They don’t have the correct address for the BnB. So, needless to say, no inspection!

Matthew806
Level 1
Frisco, TX

I am receiving a surge of requests to view the residence prior to booking. 

I am concered that this is a SCAM. 

I stick to the canned response of 'I appreciate your request; however AirBnB (nor I) release an exact address until a booking is made for legal and safety reasons.'

Does anyone know how to alert the AirBnB of this concern; as I am sure this issue has been raised?

Or would one expect that AirBnB informs potential tenants that providing the physical address or requesting a 'viewing' is not protocol.

Meghana2
Level 2
Watertown, MA

I rent only on a monthly basis and the property is priced as such. Most of the requests lately have been:

1. Viewing the property 

2. Can you offer a discount for monthly rental

It has become a colossal waste of my time. Is it acceptable to put in the description, it is available only on a monthly basis and priced as such and we cannot accomodate viewings?

Sara654
Level 3
Oxnard, CA

I don’t allow viewings before reserving the unit and I also tell them that my rates are not negotiable. 

Lately, I have local people wanting to rent my unit for 2+ days. I did it in the past and it didn’t go so well, so no more locals! Just my 2 cents!😃

Anthony608
Level 10
Silver Spring, MD

@Matthew806-  I once had a highly suspicious booking request from a man who apparently lived only about 20 minutes away.  He sent a pre-booking request and, once he was able to use AirBNB messenger to communicate with me, he * demanded* to know the address of the house before booking and wanted to come by and "check it out". I advised him this was against AirBNB policy and he sent a very nasty reply about how I was hiding my address and he was "going to report me". 

I called AirBNB about him, and filed an online report myself, but as far as I can tell AirBNB took no action and his profile was still active a few weeks later.  A similar situation happened about a few months before this incident, where a man with no reviews, who said he lived in New York, sent extensive messages asking every possible question about my house.  He sent multiple pre-booking requests, but never paid and they all expired.  Then came a very bizarre message that he wanted me to tell him my exact address, he wanted to see the house, and he would pay me in cash after he stayed.  I of course refused, and he abruptly broke off contact.  I also reported him, and to this day he still has an active profile.

https://www.airbnb.com/users/show/240744921

Ray1437
Level 2
Tampa, FL

I was going to post a very similar topic but as I was typing in my post this topic popped up and answered my question(s). I have surmised that (in general) if someone wants to come by my property and inspect the listing - that is code for "can we negotiate?". I typically decline such booking inquiries particularly if the listing is Instant book.

@Ray1437 Generally, yeah, or they just want to kick the tires. I did a few viewings early in my hosting career, and none of them ever turned into bookings. I think they're a waste of time or you may have to deal with someone who wants a cash deal. Alternatively, they could have some other reason for wishing to see the inside of your property. 

Just not worth it overall. 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

And particularly during our Covid lockdown 😁

I am new to Airbnb and over the last couple of days I have had numerous requests from locals to view the house before booking or to pay in cash. I have turned all of these requests down for safety reasons not sure if they wold want to case my place or although parties are prohibited they may want to see the set up for some event. The pay in cash options I turned down and directed them to book through Airbnb as I would not be covered by liability insurance and I am not willing to take that risk. I began to second guest myself but I am happy that there are others who feel the same way.