Error message on site and app - cannot book

Saba9
Level 2
California, United States

Error message on site and app - cannot book

I was sent a "book now" message from the host and have tried multiple times to make the booking on the site but I keep getting this error message "Error 503 first byte timeout first byte timeout Guru Mediation: Details: cache-sjc3137-SJC 1520032648 650214276"

When I try to book via the app I getting this error message "Unfortunately, a server error prevented your request from being completed. Airbnb may be undergoing maintenance"

Does anyone have a resolution?

8 Replies 8
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Saba9 ,

It is indeed a server error, so could be maintenance or the server in some other way not available to process your booking request. Try later....

Saba9
Level 2

Thanks for the reply! Do you have any advice on troubleshooting or should I try later? I've been dealing with this for 8 hours now. Also, I've cleared my cookies, cache, etc.

Lya1
Level 1
Orange, CA

I’ve been getting the same error since Sunday. The host that I’m trying to book with mentioned that Airbnb changed their policies and you have to upload a government ID now. I did this and it still didn’t work. They said that it was an issue with PayPal because payment is being processed and then immediately voided. Called PayPayl and they confirmed it was an issue with Airbnb. Been on the phone with customer service for a collective 4 hours and no fix. Their suggestion was keep trying or maybe try booking a different listing. They’re pretty much stumped. 

Saba9
Level 2

@Lya1, sorry for the late reply and the issues you're experiencing!! I was also give the Government ID, payment run around. They finally settled on it being an issue with my browser (though I was using their recommended Chrome). I was on the phone with customer service for 1.5 hours then they said they would call me back with a resolution. After 2 hours, AirBnB IT called me and said they would book on my behalf (on a recorded line) so I authorized the charge and the booking went through. The host I was working with said many of his other guests are experiencing same issue. The AirBnB tech said he has no idea what the issue is but if he had to guess it's a server issue. I highly recommend calling customer service and requesting they book on your behalf or ask to speak with a supervisor. This is completely unacceptable that they said try booking a different listing! I hope they understand they are likely losing money/customers.  Good luck!!!

I am a host getting this message for the first time today.  I cannot do anything in Airbnb.  I have re-booted my computer to no effect.  Did any one find a solution?  Lisa

Saba9
Level 2

Hi Lisa, apart from clearing cookies/cache/passwords - I would recommend calling AirBnb customer service for tech help. I was unable to resolve the issue by myself.

Good luck!

Evette3
Level 1
Chicago, IL

I just booked a place and got error messages 3 times but my bank put a hold on my account because it went through 3 times and my room is confirmed booked....I sent a message to the merchant hoping she could void the other 2 transactions

Andres193
Level 2
Winthrop, MA

I've been getting this error and just bought a new computer and even on the new computer I get this error whenever I try to view my host performance