Escalate Host Issue

Mesky0
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

Escalate Host Issue

Dear Whom This May Concern,

In a series of very unfortunate events, the key that was provided by the host stopped working on the day of our departure. We subsquently were unable to access the property before our flight from Madrid. This therefore meant that we had to leave Madrid without our luggage. Following this, our host agreed to send our luggage. However, it has since been 2 weeks and our host has stopped responding to all communication. I have escalated the issue with Air BnB help centre. She is now no longer responding to them. They have advised that they can no longer provide any support on this case. 

Could I kindly how I can escalate this issue? 

Thanks

4 Replies 4
Ben205
Level 10
Crewkerne, United Kingdom

@Mesky0

I feel for you, that would ruin your holiday! This forum is for hosts, so Airbnb isn't going to respond.

From what I've read on here, when Airbnb say they're not going to help any more, they're not going to help any more. I don't see many positive options, given the host is not communicating

1. You could find out about getting a courier to collect, then give the host the details and she may just let the company pick up your bags. You will have to pay, I'm sure

2. You return to Madrid on a cheap flight and visit the host (probably cheaper than option 1), assuming she still has them

3. You find somebody in Spain who will do option 2 for you, then send your bags on (at your cost)

4. You look into how to make a claim through Spanish courts

5. You write to all the 'problem pages' in papers in the UK to highlight the issue. I think they'd be interested in the story - I expect most travellers don't realise how alone they are should there be a problem Airbnb is unwilling or unable to sort out

Good luck, and let us know what you decide to do.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

@Ben146  actually this forum is for everyone in the Airbnb community including guests. Let's not discourage people from seeking help here. All be it Airbnb doesn't monitor posts.

@Mesky0 - I am sorry for your situation I think Airbnb is behaving appalling. The least they could do if offer you compensation.

What did your travel insurance company say. Is it something they could cover in a claim.

Try Airbnb via Twitter and if that doesn't work I would contact your local TV or print media. Amazing how quickly they respond to a negative story.

Elizabeth429
Level 10
Madrid, Spain

Hi Mesky,

I am kind of new in hosting guests in Madrid. I work really hard to give the best of me as a host and it is really discouraging when a host behaves this way.

If there is anything I could do to help, let me know.  Sorry about your dispair!

Cormac0
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Mesky

What is required is more regulation and Airbnb will have only themselves to blame, remember you paid Airbnb a booking fee now it's time for Airbnb to start earning that fee.

I would talk to your local politician and see what he can do, in addition to this mention it to your local News station or Newspaper, what going on here is theft and should be called that.

Ryanair that other bastion of cheap, is being forced to compensate its passengers for the flights cancelled due to mismanagement, and will probably garner a substantial fine from the EU for misleading passengers to their actual entitlements for the previously mentioned compensation.

Airbnb is a multibillion dollar company behaving like it's the wild west and I'm getting sick of it, to be honest and I am starting to wonder do I was to be associated with such a cowboy operation?

Regards

Cormac

The Explorer's Club Krakow III