Essential appliances for an apartment kitchen....

Answered!

Essential appliances for an apartment kitchen....

I am renovating the kitchen in my short term rental space.

I am trying to attract longer term, monthly rentals.

What are the essential appliances in a small kitchen

I currently have a new glass top range with oven

I’m planning on buying an under counter fridge to free up counter space.  It will be 5.0 cubic feet.   No freezer....do I need one?  If so I would need to buy a separate undercounter freezer.

Do I need a microwave?  Does anyone use microwaves?

Thank you your help and recommendations would be appreciated

1 Best Answer
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Joanne246  Sounds like you have it pretty well covered. I'd just make it clear in your listing that the fridge is an under-the-counter type and has no freezer. The only issue I could see is the unavailability of ice. If you are close to grocery stores, so guests can shop frequently, they shouldn't require a freezer, but if you are more remote, they might find it helpful. I have seen those under-counter fridges with small freezer compartments- enough space to at least fit an ice cube tray and a couple of small items, so maybe research that.

As for microwaves, I've never used one myself, but I know many people are accustommed to using them extensively. Many people don't cook- they tend to buy pre-made food and heat up in microwave, so I think it would be a valuable addition.

If you find that not having a freezer is an issue with guests, you could rethink that at a future date as long as you leave space for that.

View Best Answer in original post

3 Replies 3
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Joanne246  Sounds like you have it pretty well covered. I'd just make it clear in your listing that the fridge is an under-the-counter type and has no freezer. The only issue I could see is the unavailability of ice. If you are close to grocery stores, so guests can shop frequently, they shouldn't require a freezer, but if you are more remote, they might find it helpful. I have seen those under-counter fridges with small freezer compartments- enough space to at least fit an ice cube tray and a couple of small items, so maybe research that.

As for microwaves, I've never used one myself, but I know many people are accustommed to using them extensively. Many people don't cook- they tend to buy pre-made food and heat up in microwave, so I think it would be a valuable addition.

If you find that not having a freezer is an issue with guests, you could rethink that at a future date as long as you leave space for that.

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Joanne246 

I have three apartments that I list on Airbnb. Each one started without a microwave (which was clearly stated in the listing description)  because the kitchens are small and have little counter space available. Each one now has a microwave at the suggestions of the guests. I had to get creative. In one unit I bought a kitchen island cart and put the microwave on the lower shelf and the butler block top acts as more counter space. But my guests apparently wanted microwaves. I think mostly to warm up leftover takeout or make popcorn.

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

Microwave, toaster, electric kettle. Small fridge, cooktop. I have  a fridge with a freezer compartment for ice etc, some guests use it for ice cream as they sometimes leave some behind. Which I eat at changeover time... If no freezer, say so as I have had guests rely on it on order to freeze  cooling blocks for medication they need to travel with.  You can take pics of the setup so there's no confusion . You don't want a month long cancellation because expectations were not met.