Extension after checkout date expired

Extension after checkout date expired

My guest requested longer stayed after the checkout date had expired. The guest stayed three days past the checkout date and not attempt to make another booking reservation, but keep reassuring me that I need to wait and he will pay and make the booking. I advised the guest to I can assist him with the booking. I called his mobile number many times but no answer. When we spoke earlier today on the phone, he said he will be there all evening and he will attempt the booking. Can someone advise me on this matter, if the guest doesn’t respond to my calls and text, what should I do from here? 

6 Replies 6
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Kasie--Ha-0 I very much doubt you can book/extend a stay for the past. A short term guest is, in most jurisdictions, trespassing once they get to the end of their stay if they don't leave. In England, I believe you can enter the listing, change the locks and just tell the guest you will allow them to collect their belongings at a pre-arranged time. I don't know what the situation is in Australia.

Thanks for your feedback. 🙏🏼

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Kasie--Ha-0 

I am afraid @Mike-And-Jane0 is right. Your guest cannot make a booking for the three nights he has already overstayed because you cannot book dates that have already passed. 

It's really not an ideal situation, but I think you have the following options:

1. Get the guest to pay you directly. You shouldn't really do this according to Airbnb's T&Cs, but it might be the most straightforward way.

2. It the guest wants to continue his stay, you could ask him to make a new booking for the dates going forward and send him an alteration request for the nights he has already stayed and not paid for. However, you need to trust the guest in this circumstance and I am not sure this guest sounds trustworthy.

3. Get Airbnb involved. Tell them what has happened and see if they can charge the guest for overstaying. In theory, they should be able to do this, but in practice it could be a lot more complicated and there is no guarantee they will get the payment from him.

4. Do as @Mike-And-Jane0 suggests (providing it is within your legal right to do so). Tell the guest he has to pay or leave. If he does not, change the locks and give him a timeframe in which to collect his stuff. Make sure you have someone with you when he comes to collect it and be prepared to call the police if necessary.

Gwen386
Level 10
Lusby, MD

@Kasie--Ha-0 Are you saying he has already been at your STR for 3 days FREE! If yes, you have a squatter situation. Give him one hour to exit your rental or you will call the police. 

Thank you so much everyone for your feedback and advised. Yes, the guest is still there and had not paid for some days. I already got Airbnb involved but this matter has not yet been dealt with. I just wanted some thoughts from the community about this before tacking action further. Thanks guys 🙏🏼💛

Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager
Galashiels, United Kingdom

Hi @Kasie--Ha-0 

Can you please let me know if you heard back form Airbnb yet, and if the guest is still at your listing and not paying?

I hope it's all been sorted by now but do let me know.

Jenny

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines