Extenuating Circumstances Policy - SO unfair to hosts

Maria188
Level 8
Wells, United Kingdom

Extenuating Circumstances Policy - SO unfair to hosts

As a superhost of 6 years standing and 100% 5 star reviews, I have, for the first time, been caught out by Airbnb's Extenuating Circumstances policy. I have lost 780 eur with little or no chance of rebooking the dates as the guest cancelled on the day of booking. I know I have suck it up as it is in the ts and cs - albeit buried deep within of course.  However, I believe this is a grossly unfair policy and amounts to misuse of power by a large corporation over its individual suppliers. I would love to know what any corporate lawyers out there think of this policy. If a host has chosen, as I have to have a strict cancellation policy, should Airbnb not honour this? By all means have an EC policy but the funds to pay for this should come from airbnb or a guest funded insurance policy, NOT out of a host's own pocket. 

Whats more, despite having never visited my property, the guest has been invited to leave a review. I imagine they are angry with me for not agreeing to give them a refund as I cannot afford to do so, (although thanks to airbnb I have ended up gving them one anyway) and I am worried they will leave me a bad review. I have worked tirelessly to achieve my great reviews and I cannot believe that now my business could be adversely affected for something that is completely beyond my control. When I called airbnb about this they said it was not possible to stop them leaving a review. The guests did not even reach my town let alone my house, yet they can review me! How is that fair?  Yes, I can review them too, but I am a good person and I am not going to leave the guest a bad review when they have tried understandably to reclaim their money.

I want to do something about this and would welcome feedback for other hosts who also feel the policy is grossly unfair to the entire host community. 

64 Replies 64
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Maria188 

Airbnb could earn some more money by offering guests an insurrance for having to cancel due to 'extenuating circumstances', so we as hosts allways receive our money. Something is now put on our shoulders which should not be there.

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Maria188 @Emiel1  I think VRBO has optional travel insurance to purchase

Jess78
Level 10
Eugene, OR

@Maria188  This makes my blood boil that they put people in this situation. It’s abuse. It’s financially damaging to the “little people” who are their business model work, and it makes no sense at all.  Question— might some short term rental insurance for property owners cover extenuating circumstances/cancellations? I have no idea, just wondering. Airbnb should definitely cover this cost if your cancellation policy is being violated by their decision. 

Kaylee18
Level 10
Hamilton, Canada

Hey @Maria188 

I've had two different occasions when guests cancelled last minute and did not attend my property, and yes you are right it does default to allow both guest and host to still leave a review. I had one of the guests leave a poor review (never even attended my home) and gave us a 3/5 without any comments. When I spoke with Airbnb customer service, they agreed that the guest should not have been able to leave a review since they never attended my home and that the "review was unfair as they never stayed at the accomodation, therefore they could not accurately review it" (their exact words). They removed the bad review for me, and no longer allowed either of us to leave one. 

Maybe try speaking with a different agent. The one you spoke with may not have known what to do?

Good luck! 

I had a bad review which was unfair and not based on the guest's actual stay at my property; Airbnb support case handlers insisted it's not possible to remove a review, interesting to see it is possible. I shall continue to push them to remove this review.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

What about all those $100 penalties they charge hosts for cancelling a reservation? They should use that $ to pay for reservations that guests cancel last minute under extenuating circumstances.

David-and-Anna1
Level 2
Lviv, Ukraine

hello everybody, I am now in same situation reagarding a cancellation due to guest extenuating circumstance.

the guest has cancelled himself  before check in.

i have informed him that as per our policy no refund are possible.

week after i receive message from support explaining that because of extenuating circumstance they have to take back the reservation amount.

i discussed with airbnb support, case manager, explaining that in their terms and service it is not stipulated that the host is responsible to refund.

Airbnb support has willing to stop the discussion, without explaning to me their decision, and mainly showing to me where in the terms and services it is written that the host is responsible to refund the guest in such case???

The support has written that they will disengage from discussion.....

host has contractual agreement with airbnb, not with the guest. the host should not be involved in decision between the host and the guest.

Airbnb do not respect their agreement with the host

I am writting a letter to airbnb, reayd soon to be send by DHL

see you

David

Good Luck @David-and-Anna1  Do keep me posted here regarding any response to your letter. I was thinking of starting a change.org petition to get the policy altered. What do think? Do you think enough hosts would sign it?

I will support this!!! I SIGN

Hi Maria -

Did you ever start a petition? I would sign it in a heartbeat - and I know many other hosts that would as well. I just got burned by this policy and it's incredibly unjust for hosts to have to suck up everyone else's situation and bear 100% of the financial loss. Travel insurance would certainly fix this.

Maria188
Level 8
Wells, United Kingdom

Hi @Dani10 

I didn't start a petition as I had heard that as a host you need to be careful what you say or Airbnb will just shut you down. I cannot afford for that to happen. I did write to the senior management team to ask them to reconsider the EC policy and the result of that, is that they have made it even worse for hosts!!!!  There are now so many new circumstances covered under the policy, it basically totally undermines your cancellation policy - no matter how strict. Instead I am in the process of signing up with other platforms and as soon as my booking are up with them, I will ditch Airbnb.  In the meantime, I am prioritising guests from other sites where I have more control of my income.  

I am caught in such a situation as well. I NEED to ESCALATE it to make them change. it is totally unfair to the host. 

As a big corporate, its policy should be based on fairness and equalization to both host and guest.  

Maria188
Level 8
Wells, United Kingdom

Hi @K92  I know exactly how you feel!  I have tried writing to the management team and I have also filled out a feedback form.  I suggest you do the same. I wrote to the following people on the recommendation of another host:

aisling.hassell@airbnb.com

greg.greeley@airbnb.com

belinda@airbnb.com

brian@airbnb.com

Perhaps if enough hosts send feedback, they might take the issue more seriously. I wish you luck with your case. Let me know if you have any success getting your money back.

Thanks Marie. Let us set up a group on this . I will try my best to escalate..can you please tell me where to find the feedback form?