Extenuating Circumstances

Answered!

Extenuating Circumstances

This is covered under the extenuating circumstances under Airbnb policy that states: Military actions and other hostilities. Acts of war, hostilities, invasions, civil war, terrorism, explosions, bombings, rebellions, riots, insurrection, civil disorder, and civil unrest.
We are experiencing Suspension of flights due to protests. Unable to fly into Israel. All flights grounded. 700,000 on strike. Including airport. Major civil unrest. Political unrest. Full refund requested. See attached for written confirmation by airport and airport authorities. Host has declined refund. 

1 Best Answer
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Joanna705 It usually takes Airbnb a few days to sort out what an EC is (or isn't). In your situation I suspect it may depend if ALL flights are suspended. 

Please do think of the host in this situation. Through no fault of theirs they are possibly going to lose out on the revenue for the booking even though their place is available. Do you have travel insurance that you can claim on?

View Best Answer in original post

4 Replies 4
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Joanna705 It usually takes Airbnb a few days to sort out what an EC is (or isn't). In your situation I suspect it may depend if ALL flights are suspended. 

Please do think of the host in this situation. Through no fault of theirs they are possibly going to lose out on the revenue for the booking even though their place is available. Do you have travel insurance that you can claim on?

Thank you for your response. Airbnb policy states that it protects against civil disorder and civil unrest. Shame on them for not approving based on policy in place to protect consumers. This is my first time using Airbnb and it will definitely be my last. Nightmare. 

@Joanna705 Don't give up yet. It may well cover you. I am just saying that Airbnb isn't omnipresent and takes a few days to understand what is going on in its myriad of destinations.

Airbnb not honoring extenuating circumstances policy:

Riots and civil unrest.

My plane was grounded. The airport was grounded. I take no issue with the strike. However, I have young children and I'd rather not be in Israel while this is going on to attend my fathers funeral. 

This morning, I requested a refund from the host. They refused. I then requested a refund from AirBnB. I pointed out their extenuating circumstances policy, which I have pasted below. It is available for all to see at https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/1320(https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/1320).

From the policy:

"This Extenuating Circumstances Policy explains how cancellations are handled when unforeseen events beyond your control arise after booking and make it impracticable or illegal to complete your reservation. This Policy applies to reservations for both accommodations and Experiences.

When this Policy allows for cancellation, it controls and takes precedence over the reservation’s cancellation policy. Guests that are impacted by an event covered by this Policy can cancel their reservation and receive, depending on the circumstances, a cash refund, travel credit, and/or other consideration. Hosts that are impacted by an event covered by this Policy can cancel without adverse consequences, but, depending on the circumstances, their calendars may be blocked for the dates of the cancelled reservation."

The above text clearly states that "this Policy allows for cancellation, it controls and takes precedence over the reservation’s cancellation policy." and "Guests that are impacted by an event covered by this Policy can cancel their reservation and receive, depending on the circumstances, a cash refund, travel credit, and/or other consideration."

Among the events covered are the following:

"Military actions and other hostilities. Acts of war, hostilities, invasions, civil war, terrorism, explosions, bombings, rebellions, riots, insurrection, civil disorder, and civil unrest.

Refunds under the Extenuating Circumstances Policy need to be honored