Extenuating circumstances & strict cancellation policy/When Airbnb plays with your own money

Etienne-Marie0
Level 7
Paris, France

Extenuating circumstances & strict cancellation policy/When Airbnb plays with your own money

What's the use of a strict cancellation policy ? 

Airbnb just debited my money. After an indelicate guest cancelled.

Then, obtained a full refund. Everything was done in my back.

Host is nothing. It's confirmed. But pleasing paying guest with other's money...

Now, I understand the Airbnb system. Marketing towards travelers.

To me, this is anyway unlawful :

- Nobody would understand these leonine ("so called worldwide") T & C. Relating, among others, to extenuating circumstances.

Till money is taken from host's pocket.

- Decision to refund does not belong to Airbnb. Who must, first, inform host. When a refund is claimed.

- Airbnb does not even secure a deposit (arrhes). I do it when I rent myself. Hotels also...
- Airbnb must subscribe to a cancellation insurance (assurance annulation). Otherwise, it's up to the host. Whether he refunds... suggests guest to come back at another date... We guests and host pay sufficient fees !

- Airbnb does nothing but provide a platform. Hosts bear all.

At least, Airbnb must advise guests to pay with specific credit cards, subscribe to an insurance (this option exists when you book a train or plane ticket...).

Too risky for the host.

Many of you already complained. Here on the community. These past years and months.

But Airbnb does not care.

If we do not make pressure, we hosts will still be ripped off.

"Please plan accordingly... case is now closed..." That's the answer I got.

Scandalous ; not admissible.

We should write to Airbnb. 

I do remain. Sincerely.

13 Replies 13
Pam336
Level 2
Fallbrook, CA

Really? Airbnb took the money away? I thought that they would pay you but refund guest out of their own pocket if they wanted to do that.

Etienne-Marie0
Level 7
Paris, France

To Pam1062

Not at all.

First, guest cancelled without advising of her real intention. Although I suggested she comes back at a later period. To settle this unfortunate case between us.

Second, Airbnb credited guest's money. Then took it back from me. Their own only decision. With entire host's money.

If hosts do not gather to change this and others...

Merci for your contribution.

Meghan20
Level 2
Fort Collins, CO

Seriously!? I am having trouble with Airbnb now too. I had posted quiet hours and they are gone from the site, so I have a guest that watches TV all night. I also said no to guests without a review and they still send them to me. At the moment, I am stuck with a neurotic guest who is driving me crazy but I can say nothing or he will post a bad review. I feel like a prisoner in my own house. Even my cat cannot relax and keeps waking me up at night. I want this person to leave! 

Anyway, my point is that Airbnb will change your pricing, change their website rules and not alert you to the changes until you are stuck with a problem guest. And even then, you must suffer through it or be downgraded. Comments cannot be removed (mine are all good so far) but I have asked for comments about my location and breakfast being served (not always possible on short notice bookings or when I have an early meeting) to be removed but nope. Airbnb doesn’t care about the host. They just want the guests to stay happy and keep paying. 

I have just delisted and I will find another booking service like HomeAway or Couch Surfing. Hosts have no power and as you have witnessed, Airbnb will simply take the money out of your account. I’ve been lucky only to have had one cancellation but at this moment, I would gladly refund this guest to leave rather than get paid at the rate they allowed him to book (40% less than my standard nightly rate on some extended discount plus a 10% discount for their beta non-cancellation deal). 

Enough!

Meghan

To Meghan & Carol.

Merci.

Yes, Airbnb is a guest only platform. Our problems ? Not theirs. But our money belongs to them. Decide for us... Monsieur Chesky should do some house cleanings sometimes. Instead of attending to cocktails with investors.

As Meghan says, this company changes rules without noticing. Or at last moment. Look at pictures from guests. Disappeared. Renting and politics are 2 different businesses.

As to comments (reviews), this is very perverse system. You will read many contributions here. E.g., a bad faith guest can leave a review whereas you ask him refund because of damages. Stupid ! In controversial cases, Airbnb should cancel reciprocal reviews. Apparently, if you contest reviews for good reasons, Airbnb deletes. But again this is their will... You must claim... Decisions do not belong to us.

Well, all this, in many respects (leonine T&C), is illegal. But no "hosts syndicate" exists.

To me, a competitor would easily kick off Airbnb. 

For Carol : Airbnb deducted me 5 nights. Extenuating circumstances and other cancellation types are in the field of insurances. Cost of which would be small. Considering the amount of transactions. No matter hosts policy is moderate, strict... A message should also be sent to guests when they book : please, check whether your mean of payment (credit card...) covers your booking, if you have specific insurance policy... Otherwise, read our T&C regarding Airbnb's own cancellation insurance policy for both host and guest...

Airbnb creates contentious and anger because of incompetence. Her T&C ? A joke !

Bien à vous.

I had a similar incident when  guest cancelled at 9 pm night of checkin. My night was blocked up till the cancellation so no chance of another booking. Airbnb called me and said there was extenuating circumstances for the guest and deducted the whole night out of my next payment. This is wrong! I believe guest should be refunded service fees only but why does the host have to financially suffer??? Why isnt there insurance from airbnb? My policy is moderate but that doesn’t matter 😞

Cormac0
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Etienne-Marie0 

You'll get Hosts on here, that will still insist there running their own business under these circumstances, I don't know whether to laugh or cry for them.

Airbnb T&C are completely loaded in their favour despite the fact they bear little or no risk of substantial financial loss or damage.

Etienne-Marie0
Level 7
Paris, France

To Cormac. Yes, Airbnb makes his "Airbed" on split and divided hosts.

Many, unfortunately, "keep ploughing in their own furrow" (font leur cousine dans leur coin).

Susan1188
Level 10
Marbella, Spain

I'm sorry that happened to you, we all know how distressing it is when something unfair happens like that and feels totally out of our control!

I can imagine if this was a 3 week booking in your high season cancelled a few days before arrival I understand your indignation.

If it can help, I feel your pain and when stuff like that happens I have trouble staying objective and non emotional, and have been known to send embarrassing rants to client support! 

But in the end of the day I try to look at the big picture, how much of my occupancy is indeed coming from Airbnb - there are some bumps and mishaps and cancellations but overall,  are you getting what you want out of the platform?

Hard to think that way though when you are reeling from a unilateral and seemingly unfair decision.

Etienne-Marie0
Level 7
Paris, France

Merci Susan.

It's not only about money. But the way Airbnb deal with hosts.

I have been almost 5 years with this platform.

Being a former lawyer, I knew right from the start they were very weak on the legal and administrative aspects. But with interesting commercial sides.

And their platform was seducing (design...). Compared to others. Relationships with Airbnb staff oK. Including invitations to their nice Paris office, meetings with host (clubs)...

But since 2019, surge big management issues. Started with this guest picture. Incredible. Everything goes wrong (client service, platform bugs, now their stupid T&C...). Chesky lives in a bubble. Is obviously deaf.

I am fed up.

Sincèrement.

Croyez moi je vous comprends!

I don't know if I'll be here either after 5 years!

We'll see!

Courage, courage, hold on.

Etienne-Marie0
Level 7
Paris, France

Please, read :

Keep ploughing their own furrow (font leur cuisine dans leur coin).

Sorry.

Etienne-Marie0
Level 7
Paris, France

Yes.

Also they bear no responsability at all.

Check nothing (guest & host side).

Yesterday, was a "reportage"(on M6 channel I beleive) about Airbnb in France, Spain...

A child had a very serious accident near a swimming pool. In Spain.

No protection by a wall...

Airbnb replied (French Airbnb director) they were "washing their hands".

So called insurance is a joke. For both "clients". Hosts as guests.

For what they do or sell (almost nothing), their fees are much too expensive.

Regards.