Extra Visitors - Guests of our Guests!

Katie318
Level 2
Boston, MA

Extra Visitors - Guests of our Guests!

Hi, there:

This is my first question to the community.  I have been hosting for about a year.   

How to handle the following and this has happened to me several times:  One guest books the room.  He or she arives and says they are visiting  a friend in town and can he/she sleep in the room for some or all of the stay. In one instance, the visitor even arrived with the guest ! The room has one bed and I have a two guest maximum.  I know I could say no outright, since it is not part of the booking.  However, if I say yes, do I charge extra, and if so, how much?  

Also, where on the listing/profile is there a place for me to be clear that I don't want people bringing extra guests to stay who are not included in original booking?

Thanks in advance

Katie in Boston

8 Replies 8

@Katie318 honestly, hosts shouldn't *have* to say that guests should not bring extra people to stay who aren't on the reservation.

Do restaurants have to say "Please don't take extra food that you did not order"?

Do grocery stores have to say "Please don't take extra items that you did not pay for"?

Do hair salons have to say "Please don't expect us to cut and style the hair of friends who come with you"?

You should at least put in your house rules "Unregistered guests are not allowed on the property at any time." That should cover any eventuality... although enforcement is up to you.

And tell the guests that unregistered "visitors" need to either be put on the reservation (with a potential increase in cost) or must leave the property immediately. Failure to do either would result in the cancellation of the entire reservation, such that all guests would have to leave.

The pricing of extra guests is entirely up to you.

Thank you, Matthew.  Very wise and helpful.

Katie

David3267
Level 10
Torquay, United Kingdom

Well said!

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Katie318,

Welcome to the Community Center!

I was wondering what you did in the end? 

Thanks!

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

Hi,  @Quincy0

No guests of guests for me! I included wording in my listing to that effect.

Thanks for reaching out.

Katie

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Thank you so much for letting me know @Katie318!

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

Hi, Im new to this.  But have recently had an experience of someone wanting to make a booking (my blurb states 'suitable for couples' and also £7 extra for additional guests per night) has stated by text they want to bring their child but has only noted on the booking 2 people.  What should I do?  I think my situation is similar to yours. So, looking closely at the responses you've had.  Thanks and good luck, Lea 

David3267
Level 10
Torquay, United Kingdom

Probably charge the £7, in our experience people rarely read the 'small print' or deliberately try & avoid it. We do not charge extra for people as we work on basis of maximum occupancy per apartment. If it was child in travel cot we wouldn't charge.