Fake Service Dogs and my own personal dog

Marlen26
Level 2
Hyampom, CA

Fake Service Dogs and my own personal dog

Hey, recently I had an increase in people requesting for their service animals to join even though they dont need to even share this information as guest state. I highly doubt all these dogs are service animals! I want to decline all these people that are clearly lying straight into my face. My real question here though, I have a dog on my property and I have a second unit on my property very close by. My dog is a alpha dog and does not like other dogs on the property. This causes a serious threat for anybody who is not letting me know they are bringing a service dog. What am I going to do. This rule is ridiculous, **. Also what about all the people that are allergic to pets? My house has been pet free for a while and now somebody marches in with a dog that is in danger by my dog and that will cause extra work and dirt .... 

**[Inappropriate content removed in line with the Community Center Guidelines]

12 Replies 12
Bethany195
Level 4
Albuquerque, NM

I will try to ignore your bleeps and answer your question professionally to the best of my ability. I would contact CS and ask for an exemption due to health and safety ( of you dog and thiers). Hope that helps. I am new to this platform though and you may get better answers from the veteran hosts on here. 

They don’t need to say that they are bringing a service dog. 

@Marlen26 That is true to an extent. The laws in the US protect property owners though. I wish I had a better answer to this since I struggle with people in general not abiding my rules and bringing a dog, service or not.

If you have an exemption from Airbnb and it is clearly stated on the listing, and you are not breaking any laws, locally or otherwise, then I think when you see it you should be able to ask them to remove the dog or stay elsewhere. I know it's still tricky though. 

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Bethany195,

If you really want to know your options I suggest that you read the official Airbnb policy regarding service animals.  You can easily find it in the Airbnb Help Center.  If you've already read the policy, which part of it are you asking for assistance?

@Debra300 @I'm not asking for assistance. I have thoroughly read the policy. I am offering my humble advice. I have read the laws that apply in the US, NM and Airbnb's policy and have spoken with support. This was my advice. I am not the OP.

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Bethany195,

My mistake.  Fat finger error.   I meant to tag @Marlen26 .  You gave great advice.

@Debra300 I get it. It happens. My phone has crack in the screen that makes typing hard for me. It sometimes comes out "ALL messed up." Lol That's an Albuquerque slang joke.

Bethany195
Level 4
Albuquerque, NM

Also, you are correct about them not all being service dogs. The statistics for actual service dogs is very low and I am sure they are not all trying to book Airbnb no pets properties. It's a shame because it hurts handicap people who need them. I am very sympathetic to this fact.

Gillian166
Level 10
Hay Valley, Australia

@Marlen26 
so start the conversation: 

• Hosts are only allowed to ask the following about a guest’s need for a service animal:
      • Whether the guest requires their service animal because of a disability
      • What work or task the service animal has been trained to perform
      You should be able to have a conversation around these topics and get some more information. 

You should also be able to inform them of these rules: 

• A guest’s service animal must not be:
        • Out of control
        • Unhousebroken
        • Left alone at the listing without prior approval
        • Allowed into areas that are considered unauthorised to the guest
        • Allowed in a public space without being harnessed, leashed or tethered and not under the guest’s control

Let them know they must agree to these conditions and any breach will result in termination of reservation AND a fee for any damages. 

And finally disclose that your dog is not "dog friendly", anyone who truly values their pet wouldn't want to visit you with their dog. 

You will have to be careful with the wording on this one. Any implication that you can't keep your alpha dog under control while outside strongly implies that the property is also unsafe for humans. 

Marlen26
Level 2
Hyampom, CA

He loves people he will fight a dog. My point being is I guess I will write it into my profile or booking message so that if I don’t know somebody brings a dog they know I have alpha dog. I just simply don’t have the time to look over my dogs shoulder when guest come with unannounced dogs onto my property. Also I am still not clear how this does not obviously discriminate anybody who has an allergy towards dogs! 

Sybe
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
Terneuzen, Netherlands

@Marlen26 I'm sorry to hear about this, I can imagine how this puts you in a tough position. Though this frustrating for you, I'd like to remind you to please remain respectful towards others when posting on the Community Center even if you don't share political views. We want to make sure everyone feels welcomed and invited, one of the reasons we have our Community Guidelines in place. 🙂

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen