Falling Customer Service Standards

Falling Customer Service Standards

Hi Guys,

Is it just me or have the customer service/resolution standards started falling recently? I've started noticing this since the start of this year and as a host started experiencing very generic "this is our policy" type responces from the first-in-line-telephone support team. As an example this is currently what I am going through:

A guest booked my place recently for 1 person, but upon confirmation clarified that it would be 3 guests that would coming over. No problem. I asked them to update the booking to reflect 3 guests so that they can pay the correct price associated with hosting 3 guests. Guest agreed but had technical issues updating the request. I tried but I too faced some error where the system didn't let me update the booking. And this is all happening the night before the day they are suppose to arrive.

As a result, I called support who acknolwledged the error and suggested to continue with the booking and later request the guest for the additional funds through resolution centre. Which I did. And lo-and-behold, the guest again faces a technical issue and is not able to pay for my request of money. The guest sent me a screen shot confirming the same. I call support again, who now suggest for me to cancel the request from my end and let the guest send the money from her end. This time too, the guest is unable to send the money and they face another issue in doing so. The guest even suggested me to pay directly (outside of airbnb) to which I politely declined, hoping this would be resolved. I call up tech support again they suggest someone would call me, which they didn't. This happened twice. So by now I have talked to roughly 8/9 support persons and the I am the one who is out of pocket in expenses. 

Just called support again, where the current person, (even acknowledging the fact that I had already submitted a request through resolution centre and withdrawn it later because they suggested it to do so), suggests that I again submitt another request through the resolution centre since this is their policy. I ask to be transfered to a case manger who is conveniently not able to talk to me and suggested I wait for 72 hours. As I am typing this I get a call and as soon as I am able to pick up my phone across the room, withing 4 rings, the call stops. No repeat call or a call to my alternate number. 

If this is where Airbnb support is headed, then I am not sure for how long this model would survive or I would survive with this. I now feel stupid to decline the guest request to pay directly. I am being penalised for doing things by the book and trusting Airbnb support team, and this feel terrible.

7 Replies 7
Beth80
Level 10
State of Roraima, Brazil

@Sumit11   Wow!!  Yes, here at the community there has been a lot of talk about how the support system is not working. 

I'm sorry that this is happening to you and hope it can be resolved soon.

Thanks for you reply @Beth80 

All tell tale signs when a company starts to forget its original ethos. I just hope they wake up to this and sort it out soon, before most of the affected part ways with them. 

Ummmmm...... isn't that how Airbnb CS has always been?? Not much help, condescending tone, generic canned messages, not knowing their own policies and rules. 

Thanks for the reply @Jessica-and-Henry0 

Personally, I just started noticing it start of this year. I used to like interacting with the CS team. It used to feel like that I am talking to a mate. Now, not so much. What a pity. 

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Sumit11 

".... I now feel stupid to decline the guest request to pay directly. I am being penalized for doing things by the book ..."

My first thought while reading your post 🙂

Tej3
Level 2
Scarborough, Canada

I experience the customer service quality is not great that air b and b needs to improve. The case manager handled my case in such a poor manner.

I agreed with case manager to pay me around 700 for a guest as the guest did stay only for 5 days eventhough she had booked for 14 days. I had received payout 1300 at the beginning; when the case manager adjusted this payment she did -250, -500, -1050. When you total the future money adjustment it is around -1800. It did not make any sense to me. How come she can do -1800; if I have received payout only 1300. This adjustment means like I welcome guest by giving them gift card. 

Horrible numerical skill of the case manager; air b and b should assess employees skill and give proper training before assiging such a responsibility.

Amy-and-Henry0
Level 2
Richmond Hill, Canada

YES AGREED!

I've gone through Airbnb customer service many times throughout the past 3 years and this past month has been the worst. There is a lack of service/solutions oriented individuals and even when escalted, the supervisor providing poor support. I was on the phone for 25minutes with one, another 20 minutes with another and there was no solution because both reps did not listen carefully even when I referred to a specific listing, specific calendar, specific guests...resulting in them looking at the wrong listing, wrong currency and THEM getting irritated. How does that happen? When I called out the supervisor, he was pissed off and hung up on me, sent me an email that didn't detail what was discussed and I then got an email saying the case was closed because I didn't provide documentation. Documentation didn't need to be provided, it was a technical question that someone should be able to answer.

Looking into other options. I hope some more competitors come on the market soon, taking recommendations!