False Reviews

Dan132
Level 3
Oakland, CA

False Reviews

I've been using Airbnb for years but am fairly new to hosting. I've launched a very affordable space, well below the price of a motel room in town, and I'm the only Airbnb in my area. I make everything about the unit as explicit as possible. I have a hosue manual the spells (almost) everything out, and my profile is explicit in terms of what's available and what's not available.

Further, I tell people to call me before arriving so I can further explain details, directions (GPS doesn't always work here), etc. And I often follow through with an email. In other words, I go above and beyond the call of duty to make sure every guest fully understands everything from arriving, staying, and departing.

To make a final point about that, I tell people not to drive down the main road when they enter but to stay to the left and the house is right there. One man, who used to live in our town, called me five minutes before arriving and I reminded him of this. He showed up, I waved at him, and he shouted "I'm driving down the road!" I threw up my hands to express confusion, he eventually returned and I showed him the house.

He clearly didn't read the description of the listing, let alone the house manual, and he left a bad review. It was minor because most of the reviews are positive.

But the last one really irked me. For example, I state in my profile that we have ONE BEDROOM and that there will eventually be a second bedroom. He was there with his partner but complained in his review that the second bedroom was not available, that it was "under construction" (which it's not) and other erroneous comments that simply are not true.

I replied and I know Airbnb has a policy of not deleting reviews, but when someone is so obviously off the mark, lying, or won't read the information supplied....or remember what I told them five minutes ago...then I would sure like to have a way of deleting those reviews. The are simply false! 

2 Replies 2
Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

People do misunderstand, @Dan132. I'm with you there. Can I just mention something about your response to the guest, since you are new to hosting? You address publicly some things the guest must have written in the private feedback. So what a prospective guest sees is only your long defensive response to a short and not-too-bad review. (Preview your listing and you will see what I mean.) Nothing to be done now, since with more stays this one will get buried and you can move on, but in future if a response is needed, keep it short and focused only on what was said publicly. He mentions the cold and the "construction" as negatives. So you could say there was a heater glitch that is now fixed, and that there is no construction - you offer only one bedroom, and the guest misunderstood. Don't mention the other things - the directions and the locks. No one knows about them - or they didn't know until you brought them up... It's hard when a guest is difficult, but you have to be the one who looks professional or people will worry about staying. 

Really love the listing description and especially the fun kitchen and chicken pictures. You are doing everything right. Don't let the odd review like this one get you down. 

Lawrence, excellent feedback. Sometimes we just need to step back, take a deep breath, then proceed. But I have to say, when you bend over backwards for someone and they seemingly defy the basics and then give you a negative review it's challenging to not want to defend your space/product/service. 

Again, thanks for the feedback. 

Dan