Fraud withdrawals from credit card

Sergey73
Level 1
Moscow, Russia

Fraud withdrawals from credit card

This morning I received a sudden email with confirmation of upcoming trip to London I've never booked. The debit card of my wife was bounded to account and she had withdrawal about 300 euro related to booking.  She called to her bank to block the card and got some details about transactions  there were several tries of charges starting from 500+ euro but had  been declined due to the limit. Only the one with 300 euro has been succeeded. I checked the booking and discovered that account of the owner of the room looks more then suspicious! It seems the account was created a several moments before just for fraud manipulations! 

The arrival/departure time are different in confirmation(11pm/8am), and in current property rules (7am/7am).

The name of the owner is different in confirmation and in payment document(Jadenk Fancy).  The message to the owner for booking had been copied from previous booking about Vienna. Also i found some suggestion to book other appartments which were similar to this fraud one. I suppose declined payments were related to suggested appartments.

How come such a suspicious accounts(not confirmed account of the appartment which probably does not exist) can appear in this service?

How come there were no call or notifications from service about this suspicious actions (booking appartment at 11pm EET for upcoming 4 nights for ) ? As i said there were several tries for booking.with different charges.. 

Most probably i'm not the first one who faced with it recently so is AIRBNB aware of this situation have they taken any actions to protect customers?

Regards

Sergey

3 Replies 3
Elena87
Level 10
СПБ, Russia

@Sergey73 

Looks to be a very active fraud at the moment, here is one earlier today involving a new fake listing.

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Help/Hacked-account-and-Fake-Host/m-p/1024893#M213646

There aren't a great deal of hurdles to pass to get an airbnb listing published - ie bdc have skype video calls or confirmation codes sent out to the listings postal address for verification.

New listings shouldn't receive payments for upto 30 days after a first booking. Sometimes fraudsters try to hack into an existing hosts listing in order to attempt to divert payments though.

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Sergey73 ,

So sorry this has happened to you and thank you for sharing it with us here. Could you please confirm you have shared this incident with the customer support team? You can do so via this link: https://www.airbnb.co.uk/help/contact_us

Many thanks,

Stephanie

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

HI,

thanks a lot for sharing support link with me, i writed to support using the form

I called to Russian support team early morning May,16 once i discovered a fraud.

I left the claim but noone have contacted me regarding it.