Free cancellation for 48 hours.

Duncan155
Level 1
Moseley, VA

Free cancellation for 48 hours.

We have decided to spend a few months or more traveling around the US staying in Airbnb's. If I read and understand the "Free cancellation for 48 hours." policy, if I make a booking today for a stay in Aug 2023, I can only get a full refund if I cancel within 48 hours.  If in Jan 2023 our plans change, I am screwed?

I get having a cancel policy like the cruise lines where within 90 days you only get 50%, but I am looking at a 6-8 week booking. No way I am risking losing 50% of that if I cancel 8 months before the date..

Am I reading the policy correctly?   So many places I am skipping because of that policy..

3 Replies 3
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Duncan155 

Hosts can choose from different cancellation policies, as listed here:

Choose-the-right-cancellation-policy-for-you

The 48 hours free cancellation is part of the "firm" , "strict" and "strict long term" cancellation policies.

But there are more options for a (partly) refund available in those policies, as you can read in the above URL.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

If you want to have flexible travel arrangements @Duncan155  choose a host who has a flexible cancellation policy or a moderate one and read the link above from @Emiel1 that shows the penalties involved for cancelling under the various policies.

However you are looking at a long term booking which comes under the long term cancellation policy which means once you book if you cancel you will be liable for the first 30 days. Please read the policy. If you feel your plans might change in January, don't book until you are certain.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Duncan155 

@Helen3 is correct. For a stay of 28 days or more, the long term cancellation policy automatically applies, regardless of which policy the host has chosen for shorter stays.

Is there some sort of travel insurance you could take out that would cover you for cancellations? You can't really expect the host to hold up 6-8 weeks in their calendar for several months and then get refunded if you cancel last minute. The host is not your travel insurer. They are trying to run a small business.