Garbage situation!

John1080
Level 10
Westcliffe, CO

Garbage situation!

I have posted about this, but am in dire need of some advice and also would like to see what others do with the garbage.  We host remotely in a very rural area, relying on a cleaning service to take care of cleaning, trash removal, notifying us of issues, etc.

Recently, the cleaners have been complaining about the amount of garbage being left by guests, as one of them uses her husband's dumpster at his business, but our trash is filling it up.  We have discussed the possibility of us getting our own dumpster or having guests take their trash with them.

There are some mobility, logistics and easement issues with the dumpster, but still working on that solution. 

I have researched this forum and others and it seems there are quite a few hosts on other forums (of which I am not a part) who do require this. The county dump is about 10 minutes away from here, and if we were to require guests to take garbage, I could encourage them to use that facility, which is $2 per large bag of garbage. Of course, alternatively, they could take it with them elsewhere if they wanted. 

I find this very uncomfortable and inconvenient for the guests and feel I would need to remove my cleaning fee altogether - note, the cleaning fee does not cover the cost of current cleaning, but since Airbnb changed the way the nightly rate appears without the total being clear, I have instituted a $50 cleaning fee to make my property more appealing. 

I feel that this option could lead to fewer bookings and possibly poor ratings, even if I make it very clear up front that guests are responsible for trash - we all know how guests can be! 

Any advice, thoughts or explanation of what you do would be greatly appreciated! 

6 Replies 6
Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@John1080

I can’t offer a solution other than the ones you are already exploring- however I would say that asking the guests to take their rubbish with them is a non-starter. I wouldn’t book a place that had that requirement. And, as we know guests don’t read everything in your description, it’s setting yourself up for some surprised guests when you tell them on arrival. 

On another point, you say the cleaning charged doesn’t cover the cleaning costs. It should otherwise your pricing model is wrong. You may have to accept that you get  slower return to remain competitive- and if it’s a competitive market in your area then additional hurdles like ‘take your trash with you - or drive to the local dump’ won’t help

Hiw about an honesty box where you can ask guests to cover the cost of disposable @ $x per bag? And see if guest are willing to volunteer some payment. 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I agree with @GerryandRashid

I wouldn't stay at a place with this arrangement.

Have you looked into a separate rubbish collection service?

Why don't you ask your cleaner if you can pay for an extra dumpster at her husband's business. 

Presume from your post that your local government don't provide a rubbish collection survey.

Helen, if you wanted to stay someplace because there was not another place to stay within a 45 minute drive, would it still be a non-starter? The trash issue at our country cottage is making me rethink renting it out, despite the fact there are no places to stay nearby - not even hotels. Our last guests left more garbage after a week than we have in a year, and getting rid of it was a huge ordeal, since there's no one around to hire to haul things, and our car is not big enough to take more than a few bags at a time, and the dump - about 15 miles away - is only open on Saturdays from 10-4.  We're really brainstorming to come up with another plan for a beautiful cottage in the country with no garbage service. 

John1080
Level 10
Westcliffe, CO

@Gerry-And-Rashid0 and @Helen3, thank you for your input and for reiterating in my mind the reality of the situation.  Yes, I agree, it isn't the best situation, but being a cabin in a remote area, perhaps some people will look at it differently. I have surveyed a few prior guests- need to do a bit more, and a few have said they would not mind. 

Helen, yes, I am considering asking her for the option of a dumpster at her husband's business, or to charge me to haul the bags off at $2 per bag. 

The county does not have public garbage collection, only private. The price would work, but the driveway is narrow and difficult for garbage trucks to get up, so we must rely on the recorded legal easement to possibly place the dumpster at the end of the drive, which is on their property. I am working on that option first but trying to work out other possibilities in case that one does not work out. 

Darva1
Level 3
Hillsborough, CA

We stayed in a nice house in Marin County where there was no garbage service, and we were asked in the house rules to remove our garbage with us. After our first guests, who left more garbage than we generate in a year, I'm now asking guests to remove any garbage over two bags with them. I've said they can leave their recycling, and what can be burned (paper and cardboard), but just having the trash hauled after our first guests left cost more than our entire cleaning fee. We're in the country with no garbage service, and I, too, and seeking ideas. 

Darcie14
Level 1
Zanesville, OH

Hi John, I am actually in the exact same situation. Trash is a big problem, and my cleaner does not want to take trash, and guests often leave a ridiculous amount! (E.g. 3 large contractor bags for a week stay for just 2-3 people). I am also in a rural area where there is not trash pick up, and I live in another state, although I visit the property one weekend a month. I wish I had advice for you, but instead will follow this thread and look for the same guidance! Good luck to you!