Getting overpaid by an alteration request!

Getting overpaid by an alteration request!

Hi All,

wondering if if anyone has experienced this....

I currently have a guest that booked for 11 nights and my payout was $1229. The guest inquired about staying an additional two nights through an alteration request.  The published rates for those two nights were $99 and $155. There were no added guests, no other additional charges to be assessed to the guest, but when Airbnb adjusted our payout, it went to $1609! This math seems funny. After talking to a phone representative, he explained that he could see the original charge to the guest was approximately $1400, but now his new charge is $2000. 

I suggested maybe there was a computer glitch, but am not comfortable receiving extra money that exceeded my advertised rate.  Also, Airbnb apparently received significantly more than they should of as well. 

The guest has has not mentioned anything and happily paid it, but this should not be happening...any insight or is there something I’m missing?

2 Replies 2
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Augustine6  I don't know about your specific case here, but last season I had a guest book and then saw that my payout was going to be TWICE as much as I charge. I contacted Airbnb right away to tell them that something was wrong, they told me that it was a glitch and that many guests had been overcharged  that day and they'd be refunding my guest the difference. And my guest messaged me right after I had done that, saying that she'd been charged about double what my listing said and asked if she'd made an error- that she couldn't afford it if she'd read my price wrong. I assured her that I had already called Airbnb about it, that it was their mistake, but that she needed to call them as well.

It sounds like you got a CS rep who wasn't willing to really look at the charge and figure out what happened. (or they tacked on a hefty service charge and won't tell you) Call back until you get one who's more helpful. 

And if the guest's not complaining, and the charge doesn't get rectified, you could always refund the guest some $ after you make sure you indeed do get paid what it says you will. If he's a good guest, that is. It would be a happy, unexpected surprise for him and probably lead to a stellar review.

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Augustine6,

Welcome to the Community Center!

I was wondering if you have any updates on this as it would be great if you could let us know the outcome. 

Quincy 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen