Ghosted by resolution center and the guest who did damage

Ginger77
Level 1
Salt Lake City, UT

Ghosted by resolution center and the guest who did damage

Hi. I was wondering if I could get some help for the first time and August 9 and 10th I opened up my entire home and two guests back to back through raging drinking parties.  I have not had any help with the first guest who did about $2200 with the damage. I’ve taken all the steps I’ve called I’ve done everything that I need to do and I have not had any response or any help from Airbnb. This guest was an instant book it was supposed to be guaranteed. I even told the guest no drinking parties in my house and after he left and did the damage I messaged him I never got a response from him either. Does this normally happen what should I do?

7 Replies 7
Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Ginger77 

I am sorry for your first and bad experiences 😞

I looked at your listing and it is perfect for parties... that's not good at all. Huge living room, big kitchens, 5 bedrooms, 10 guests, 5 beds, huge balcony, huge terrace, self-check-in, young female and inexperienced host... uh uh... 😞

If you want to continue to rent it a short term you should do something about it. First, If possible, I would divide the house into 3 smaller units for smaller groups, 2-4 people. Everything more than 4 guests in a group is risky.

Second, I would (and I do) meet my guests personally at arrival and show them around.

Third - put in your house rules and ask all your guests to show you their photo ID at arrival. All the people in the group. Make it mandatory. Take a photo or write down all their personal info: Names, nationality, ID number, date of birth, country of birth, gender...

Forth, set a security deposit

If possible - put security camera around the house (not inside) so you can see if your guests have visitors.

ps

if you install security cameras then you MUST clearly mention them in your listing description and in your house rules because otherwise the guest can be refunded and because guests who intend to party don't like cameras.

Ginger77
Level 1
Salt Lake City, UT

Hi thanks for the information. I have listed now that I have a camera on the entrances for their safety and took down parties and events. The biggest problem I have is that the guest that was in on August 9th after breaking the rules and doing $2000 damage and stealing property it’s been has disappeared.. I documented everything every step of the way pictures phone calls to Airbnb neither the guest or the resolution center is getting back w me. I call every day and they say they have escalated it to urgent and nothing happens????? It’s 11 days ago? Let me share with you what he did to my family home you would be appalled!

I’m also experiencing the same thing!!

Not good enough Air BnB

@Ginger77  Oh, I'm sure it's appalling, but we've read so many accounts of experiences like this here- it's not that unusual when you have a listing like yours. Branka and Silvia have given you some good advice going forward. A combination of Instant Book, self check-in, huge house, and hosting inexperience are all factors when taken together. 

Of course someone who trashes your house like this isn't going to respond or pay up. They delete their profile, then put up a new one at some point.

I'm sorry this happened to you and I hope you get some resolution. And if you don't have it already, you need homeowners insurance that will cover you. You can't depend on Airbnb to have your back, but keep fighting.

Thanks so much! I did get some help with the first claim 175 out of the 250 requested. But now that the second resolution center claim is so high they are demanding original purchase  receipt for every single item requested!! Which they didn’t need for the last resolution center because it was a minor claim. Seems like to me that they’re just trying to find a way out of no pain.

@Ginger77 

EVERY insurance agency will do its best to pay as little as possible. They will always ask for all kinds of proof and find a way out through the smallest hole available. Airbnb is not so nitpicking for small claims up to 200$ but for high amounts, they will ask for receipts, of course.

If you don't have a purchase receipt then try to find the same item online if it is still available and send a link to it.

If you can repair or deep clean something then send this receipt.

I keep every single bill for every single thing I buy for my Airbnb apartments.

Before you put your home online again it would be smart to take a few weeks and read as much posts on this forum as you can.