Guest Cancellation due to house rule violation

Desiree18
Level 2
Lincoln, CA

Guest Cancellation due to house rule violation

I am in a bit of a pickle and am not sure how to handle it. I had a horrible guest experience this past Saturday in which they cancelled their stay approx. 2 hours after arriving (and using our pool) and now I have the option to leave them a review. I want to leave them an honest review so that other hosts can avoid this individual but I don’t want to receive a negative false one in return, which I am sure would happen.  

Here is what happened:

I was not going to be home at the time of the guests arrival so I sent the door code information over, something I have done numerus times and have never had an issue. Upon arrival, the guests reaches out that she thought it was a 3 bedroom house and that she needs an additional room. I have it stated this is a shared space, and only 2 bedrooms are available for a max of 4 people (qty 2 per bedroom.) Thinking the request for more space was very odd since she only booked for qty 4 people, I pull up my living room camera to see 8 people standing in my home. (The security cameras are noted in the listing as well as their locations) I remind her, this is a shared space and can only accommodate qty 4 people and the additional people need to be removed. I immediately contact Airbnb for support who attempted to reach out to her via message and call with no response. She, her friends and family spent 2 hours swimming in my pool before finally responding back to Airbnb stating they were uncomfortable that we had cameras and throught they booked an entire house and they wanted to cancel. When I arrive home all the bathroom towels were used and thrown throughout the space and back yard, all of the coffee, sugar, tea, creamer etc. that were in the bedrooms were taken along with over half of the toiletries that are available for those who forget.

As stated, I want to leave an honest review regarding my experience but I fear that they will leave a negative and inaccurate one which will affect my star rating. 

9 Replies 9
Steve143
Level 10
Limerick, Ireland

Hello @Desiree18,

They will not be able to see your review until after they've written one or until 14 days has passed if they don't write one. In that last case then they can't leave a review for you. In other words, they can't leave a bad review of you simply due to the contents of your review.

If you don't review them and they review you, their review will appear on your profile and listing page after 14 days.

So yes please leave an honest review of them. If they leave a review of you, you can reply to it on your profile page.

Steve.

@Desiree18 the guests cannot see your review until after they submit their own review, so whatever they write is not going to be affected by what you write.

Be professional, but honest. Stick to the facts of what happened (which are bad enough) and let other hosts judge for themselves. Also important: be brief.

I know they won’t be visible until we both write a review, I am just worried she will slander my listing in hers and kill my rating. 

@Desiree18 it makes perfect sense to be concerned about the guest writing terrible things about you and your listing in their review.

But I thought you were asking about what you should write in *your* review (which is what we were answering).

There really isn't much you can do at this point to affect what the guest is going to write.

If the guest eventually writes something that violates Airbnb's content policy, you should of course contact Airbnb support and request that it be removed.

Letti0
Level 10
Atascosa, TX

@Desiree18  She can leave a review whether you do or don't leave one that slanders you. I would hold off on reviewing her until the 13th day after check out late at night or the 14th day early AM like 6 AM if she does not leave a review. If she leaves one post yours also. You can respond professionaly with facts. I am also figuring she got a full refund, make sure to mention that also, if true in your review. 

Ute42
Level 10
Germany

Hi @Desiree18 ,

call airbnb and try to have these people blocked from reviewing You.

I looked at Your listing. I've never read a description which is so clear in every aspect as Yours. There is no room for any misunderstanding, You are pointing out important issues several times. You have 2 bedrooms and You can sleep 4 people, how can that be misunderstood?

With all the internetbusiness going on out there we must come down to a point that in this world we are living in You need some general basic skills to survive. One of them is the ability to read.

Pete28
Level 10
Seattle, WA

At some point it would be great if 8 people went to sleep on one of the Airbnb co- founders sofas, used all the towels, and stole all of the food. They could then experience the misery of the platform they have created :

- how long did it take Airbnb to cancel the booking ?

- if the guests broke booking conditions (extra people etc) why would they be allowed to review !?

- if the guests steal from the property (since they didn't pay, they can't take stuff) why would they be allowed to review ?!

Airbnb needs happy hosts to keep it going, allowing abusive guests to leave 1* reviews is not a good IPO strategy...

@Desiree18

Guests can write whatever lies they want...... no one from Airbnb will care or do anything. 

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/32/can-i-delete-or-respond-to-a-review-i-disagree-with

You should hope they complain about not having the entire home to themselves, about how "mean" you were to kick them out. Hope they outright lie~ Don't be afraid of bad reviews because that is exactly what Airbnb and the guests are counting on. Airbnb wants hosts to be afraid so that we will suck it up and put up with bad guests. Bad guests want us to be afraid so they can disrespect our homes and not follow rules without any consequences. 

Make sure whatever you write as a review or response, you follow Airbnb's content policy so it's not deleted. 

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/546/what-is-airbnb-s-content-policy

Desiree18
Level 2
Lincoln, CA

Thank you all for your input. I have just realized this guest also stole a $200 bluetooth speaker and am now in the process of 'requesting funds' from the guest.

At this point, I dont care if they attempt to slander my listing with a negative review, I dont want another host to have to deal with this family.