Guest Drug Use

Joanne106
Level 3
Birmingham, United Kingdom

Guest Drug Use

Hi, I was wondering if anyne could offer advice on this situation as I dont seem to be able to find a button to report the guest within my airbnb account.

I had a guest book in yesterday and though both listing state no smoking, she said she had noticed that but could she still smoke, I wanted to say no as per my listing but felt a bit put on the spot and offered the garden.

This evening my guest had a gentleman arrive and after about 30 mins they went outside and sat smoking in the car on my drive, which was fine until I noticed smoke belowing from the car windows so I suspected cannibis.

I went out to the car and stated that they couldnt do this on my property (when I opened the front door I could smell cannibis) and then the man said, theres a better way to ask, which surprised me as I felt I was being quite good about the whole matter, after a brief disagreement with both of them,  I asked my guest to collect her things as I couldnt have drugs on the premises, her reasoning was that I knew she smoked when she arrived.

She didnt seem to be leaving and nor did he so I said I'll have to call the police, when I started to dial, she started to pack up and they left demanding a refund. 

I cant find anything from airbnb on drug use

thanks

Jo

24 Replies 24
Jackie148
Level 7
Edens Landing, Australia

My property my rules what is the world coming to with this response drugs are illegal 

Those drugs are legal where I am.

David
Cormac0
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Joanne

I'm on your side, I hate any type of psychoactive drugs and I know the hippie brigade will lambast us for our opinion vigorously, the problem for me is that when their smoking pot everything is cool, for them that is, us squares need to chill while they reek havocs with our lives.

I glad you took charge of the situation and moved them on.

Regards

Cormac

The Explorer’s Club Krakow III

The Explorer’s Club Krakow VIII

Joanne106
Level 3
Birmingham, United Kingdom

Thank you for the support, cannabis isn't as harmless as people would like to think but either way, it's a big assumption to make that myself and possibly other guests that are staying at the house at the same time, are not going to mind. 

I respect your opinion, @Cormac0, but your experience is vastly different than mine. I have been around many pot smokers, but I've never seen anyone wreck havoc. It is a mellow drug, which is why it is increasingly being legalized. As the original situation was about a guest smoking in her friend's private car, I do not see any way it would impact any other guest or the host. To me, it is like saying someone who had a glass of wine was going to wreck havoc. It's not impossible, but it isn't very probable. 

I just had two guests smoking pot inside my non smoking suite. When they first arrived they were outside besdie their car smoking cigarettes. I introduced myself to them quickly (as they wanted to be left alone and didn't want me to go through the suite with them to start with instructions on how things work.) and said please no smoking in the suite and please go for a walk around the corner away from the house my neighbour would appreciate it as this is a very quiet residential neighbourhood. I've has guests from Europe and Asia that smoke and they went for a walk no problem. It looks bad standing out front this isn't downtown.

So they said yes of course we will. They ended up smoking weed inside the suite, left their weed grinder with pot in it and ashes from smoking it inside all over the floor where the fan was and now are deniing they smoked inside and that I'm rude to even ask them not to smoke infront of the house na dhtat it made them feel uncomfortable. It clearly states no smoking in my house rule and I took photos of the stuff but still she gets to write a vindictive review and will not pay for the extra cleaning I had to do on the couch and possible I may have to steam clena the area rug. Hey I know BC bud is popular I just ask you don't smoke it inside or around the house. I don't care if people smoke pot it is still not legal here but it's coming and that's fine but no one on air bnb really wants their rental to stink like pot for the next guest who may be a non smoker and maybe has heath issue with smoke. Now I have new guests right after her and pray the smell is gone?  It seems to me that guests can break your house rules and there are no consequences they get to berate you for calling them out on breaking the rules. She clearly stately she will be leaving me a bad review so she is threatening my 5 star ratings!!! HELP

Abbey-Jo0
Level 1
Kansas City, MO

Did you ever get any resolution from Airbnb. I just contacted them about the same thing except it was inside they were smoking marijuana. It was filtering down into my two businesses below. Airbnb said it was a grey area bc they don’t know who all the guests are and if they know that marijuana is illegal in our state. They said they’d call them and give a warning. Then if they continued I could ask them to leave. 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I don't think it's a grey area. Presuming you have a no smoking listing. So that means guest don't smoke. Why is it relevant what they are smoking.

Contact your guests now. Say that you are disappointed that they have been smoking contrary to your house rules and that if they continue you will need to ask them to leave.  And that the smelll is filtering down to your businesses below.

Follow it up in writing, so there is a record..

Henrik12
Level 2
Netherlands

I am dealing also with this behaviour, although probably is understandable ,mentioning that I host in Amsterdam.

But I had several issues with people that simply don't care about my house rules.

I am very clear in my house rules that I don't accept smoking or alcohol or drugs users in my house, and after a few bad issues with smokers, I don't accept smokers as well anymore.

But still, even when I emphasize by arrival not to do so, a few did just that.

And even when they have a bad review about that they are going into discussion with me about the bad review they got from me.

I really wonder why there are people so antisocial and rude,and still on the Airbnb platform.

This month (juli) is my last month that I host people.

Too many crazy people and very frustrating!!

Despite that 90% is very nice and polite and just following the house rules.

But I want to feel safe and comfortable in my own house, and not being surprised with the smell of sigarettes or marijuana.

Henrik

Thanks Henrik.  A guest arrived last night and I woke up this morning to find cocaine on my kitchen counter... people are unbelievable, where they can go into someone's home and do illegal things. I found Airbnb very supportive though.