Guest Refund policy

Glorie0
Level 2
Auckland, New Zealand

Guest Refund policy

We booked a place the day before my hen's (host was aware that the booking was for an event).  We turned up to the property and found several issues:

- 2 additional sleepouts in front of the house in the frontyard that were not mentioned

- pool was dirty and unusable despite being listed in property amenities

- there was big furniture stacked outside the front door

- lawns and weeds were overgrown

- pantry, fridge and freezer were full of their food and drinks

I called the host and she refused to acknowledge any of these issues except the lawns.  She said she may try to find someone to do the lawns the next day, but this would be too late.  She did not address or offer to remedy any of the other issues.

I advised her by voicemail and text about 20mins later that we could not host my event in her property at its current state as it was not what was listed.  We told her we would cancel for a refund.

I am appalled by the host and Airbnb.  Given the issues, we provided airbnb with photos, call logs and texts and outlined the points in their policy the host had violated.  In addition due to the host's non-response, Airbnb gave her a 48 hour deadline to respond.  The host replied 96 hours later and airbnb continued despite it being past the deadline that they had set.

Our refund was denied with the reason given that we did not give the host ample time to remedy the issues.  There was obviously more than one issue and the host failed to even acknowledge them so why would she fix it?? We did not have the luxury of time with our event the next day and the host was uncooperative.

Airbnb gave no further explanation and repeatedly ignore my requests for a call or explanation as to what the grounds are in their policy that warranted the refusal to refund our money.  All they say is that the case is closed, its like they do not care and are biased towards the host.

20181019_200137.jpg

20181019_200008.jpg

20181019_200233.jpg

20181019_200258.jpg

20181019_200032.jpg

20181019_200148.jpg

20181019_200201.jpg

Can someone shed some light on what we may have done wrong in this situation? I felt that we had handled an unfortunate situation fairly, but according to airbnb we did not and I struggle to understand their empty justifications for siding with the host.

18 Replies 18
Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Glorie0 I'm so sorry this happened to you. Regarding your question, rather than calling the host, which establishes no record for Airbnb to review, you might have either called Airbnb first, or communicated with the host only via the Airbnb app.

At this point you might try public appeals on Facebook and/or Twitter.

It does seem that Airbnb CS frequently makes arbitrary judgments favoring both hosts and guests.

Glorie0
Level 2
Auckland, New Zealand

Thanks @Lisa723.  Next time I will definitely go through Airbnb. Being a chaotic week leading up to our wedding I thought a call, voicemail and text was fair and sufficient.

I have tried twitter and facebook and have even tried appealing to the host again seeing as she is well aware of the state her property was in, but have had no luck unfortunately.

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

hard to know for sure without seeing the host's actual listing. For example, does she hold the place out as suitable for hosting events? Are those yard spaces presented at all in the listing? Were you clear with her how many people you were bringing and why?  Did you pay for these extra guests?

Does your message mean that you booked on one day and then arrived same day or next day?

Glorie0
Level 2
Auckland, New Zealand

Hi @Kelly149 the property listing is here https://abnb.me/nwFQiUL8ZR.  She was aware it was for an event for about 12 ladies and only bridal party of 6 would stay whicb we paid extra for.  We booked the property a month before my hen's and she approved everything which is why we booked with her.  When we arrived to find the property in the state it was, we left after an hour or so after we tried to get her to remedy issues which she did not accept.  So we did not stay any nights in the house.  The issue wasn't with the space as it had quite a nice indoor/outdoor flow, the issue was with the function and cleanliness of it.

bummer, that link isn't taking me to a listing. Were you the one who booked the stay or was it one of the other ladies?

hosts are forever saying that unreasonable guests have been able to achieve full refunds for much shakier reasons than this, thus why most of us are surprised by the rejection. I'm not sure how successful you'll be to continue arguing one month later, but if you truly didn't stay and didn't find the place suitable then I suppose a call to your credit card company might be a next step.

Glorie0
Level 2
Auckland, New Zealand

Sorry @Kelly149 this link should workhttps://abnb.me/rpDA3DJ45R

I enquired about the stay initially and when she approved everything I sent the info to my sister who booked the property.

I am flabbergasted it was rejected especially considering all the points of their policy that was clearly violated.  I just want to understand the justification behind refusing a refund given the proof we sent through.  I have asked for an explanation and airbnb continue to ignore my request.

That link did work & the listing photos and the photos you took do look vastly different. A couple things I noticed: the host has multiple cancellations & also says this is a home that they just vacate when guests come. Neither one of those things would have given me much confidence. 

Cant say for sure why abb declared that you were required to be satisfied with the space when you weren’t. But if they insisted that you had to pay for days you didn’t use then I’m really confused why there isn’t a very unhappy review on the listing. 

This is a mystery. 

Glorie0
Level 2
Auckland, New Zealand

They must have just added that they vacate the property when guests come in after our complaint, that definitely was not on there before we booked.  
Unfortunately Airbnb sent the review email through to my sister and she was in NZ from Australia, with my wedding and then her family doing a campervan trip around the North Island, the email was missed and unfortunately Airbnb only give guests 14 days to review and we missed it - no exceptions at all.
I resorted to calling Airbnb again on their number and the rep I spoke to couldn't understand how our request for a refund was refused given that there was no valid grounds for this however, the ticket had been marked as "final" and "case closed" so escalating again to a supervisor would only get me the same answer without an explanation.
The only thing I can put it down to is that this host has a few properties and obvioulsy Airbnb value her business above ours, ironic since we found out she runs a company that focuses on wellness and community, something the host shown anything, but.

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Glorie0

When was your hens event?

If this is a home in New Zealand you must factor into account the fact we have had our annual traditional storms, including hailstone storm during the week, and many people don't clean there swimming pools until around Christmas time.

If your images were taken after a storm, there's a higher likelihood of a swimming or spa pool to have some debris in.

Re lawns, as with the aforementioned weather patterns of November rain, as it's still spring, perhaps they have a lawnmowing contractor come in and they have been delayed due to the weather and are having a catch up of they're mowing rounds, alternatively maybe they haven't had the opportunity to mow them to bowling green standards, as I'm currently blessed to have, because of a busy lifestyle or whatever reason.

We all must remember that a private home is not a 5 star hotel as some like to assume & expect.

If you think those lawns need mowing whatever you do don't dare try go for a walk on Auckland's volcanic cones which were immaculate Domains with cattle grazing on them for maintenance as you certainly would have grounds for a valid complaint.

Appreciate the fact you are now living in New Zealand, and be thankful for what you have been blessed with.

All the best

Glorie0
Level 2
Auckland, New Zealand

Hi @Helen427, it was in fact in Auckland.  Born and raised in Auckland, NZ so I am well aware of the weather.  Hen's was a month ago and there were no weather issues in the week or so leading up to our booking so unfortunately she did not have that excuse although, I am completely reasonable and if that was the case and she had given me a heads up that would have been fine.

I definitely do not expect 5 star, I merely expect the same standard that is shown in their listing.   I do have to say though that every other stay we have booked with airbnb has exceeded our expectations, this was the first disappointment.  

Not sure what angle you are getting at with your message but I am definitely appreciative.  What I do not appreciate is my bridal party having to pay out of their pockets for a property that was inaccurate, misleading and untidy.

Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

@Glorie0this sounds like a mess. I think what has happened from what I read is. This is a 3rd party booking and that gives you zero ability to do anything. As  all 3rd party bookings are against Airbnb, so sorry you had all this happen. In future u have to do the booking on ur acct and all communication through ur Airbnb acct. With host. If I understand correctly...this is why you have no case and they can dismiss it quickly. Sorry, Clara

Glorie0
Level 2
Auckland, New Zealand

@Clara116
It was booked under my sister's airbnb account, correct, but I was added as a point of contact on her account so I don't understand how that would be an issue.  Especially, considering it doesn't matter if it had been booked through my account or her account, it doesn't change the fact that the property was in the state that it was

@Glorie0

I remember seeing a post where a guest complained the color of the water in the photo of the pool on the listing was different from a photo taken by the guest because the host posted a pic from a sunny day and it rained while thst particular guest stayed...... the guest got a huge refund and the host was penalized for having inaccurate listing photos. So I am genuinely surprised that you were refused a refund.

As explained above, abb only accepts messages thru abb messenger as valid communication, and for any complaints made by guests, hosts are always given a chance to rectify the issue. In the case mentioned above..... the host could not control the weather and make it sunny like the photos and so was penalized 🙂 

This is kinda how abb works.......

You could try contacting abb thru Twitter.... I was told they are a bit more responsive. I think if you had kept all communication on the abb platform and contacted abb directly with photos to complain before just cancelling outright you might have had better luck getting your money back.

@Jessica-and-Henry0The pool water colour isn't different.  There's green slime and sludge at the bottome of the pool, it has nothing to do with the weather or making it sunny.  Sunny or not, it is still dirty.  I don't quite understand what your point is.
20181019_200137.jpg
Regardless, the pool was only one of many complaints.  This furniture was also stacked opposite the front door.20181019_200233.jpg

Two additional sleepouts were at the front of the property, one had the light on.  These were not mentioned in the listing, so it was not a private "entire property" as mentioned.
It seems you're implying I am working an angle to try and get a full refund for silly reasons, however they are very valid and we did not stay at the property at all,