Guest Trashed my home

Jason843
Level 3
Massachusetts, United States

Guest Trashed my home

Airbnb does it again.

I had a guest trash my home.  Not follow the trash removal and placing the trash for pickup schedule.  It cost me $250.00 for additional cleaning and removal of trash fees.  I had pictures and invoices and Airbnb denied my claim.  The denied cause is that nothing was physical broken.  What a joke.  All Airbnb says is that it is not policy.  They don't deny that the guest trashed the home.  They just allow it.

How can we as hosts continue to keep a high standard of quality when Airbnb allows guests to break rules without implications.  I can't keep a high standard and continue to pay out of pocket.  If this continues, and quality goes down, Airbnb will soon be Sears!  

As hosts we shouldn't allow Airbnb to get away with this.  There must be something we can do to influence them to change their policy.  They have to protect their brand by protecting their hosts.  

Suggestions?

2 Replies 2
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Do you have it in your house rules that guests will incur a $250 fine if they don't put the trash out in line with your check in, instructions. Do you remind guests before they check out of the importance of doing so and fines for non compliance? @Jason843 

I do hope you left an honest review for these guests to warn other hosts considering letting them book and a maximum three star so they can't IB. (I couldn't see anything but very positive reviews for your last ten guests !!)

I know Airbnb does cover additional cleaning and staining to furniture etc as I have friends who have successfully claimed for smoke damage and damage to sofa's and bed, so they definitely cover additional cleaning not just items which are broken. So perhaps you can appeal?

Guest damage is very rare - I have been hosting for nearly five years, had hundreds of guests and never had to make a claim. I think we can keep up good standards by factoring the cost of wear and tear into our day rate and careful vetting of guests to minimise the risk of problem guests.

Jason843
Level 3
Massachusetts, United States

Helen,

I have the house rules, schedules, and fines listed in the following places.

Multiple times in my listing.

Reservation acceptance letter.

Reservation email from me.

Guest book at the home.

Picture framed over the trash can in the home.

There is no way a guest doesn't know.  I learned long ago that you have to communicate and then keep communicating.  

I had pictures and invoices and Airbnb denied my claim.