Guest asked me out on a date, retaliated with bad ratings

Caroline51
Level 2
Dublin, Ireland

Guest asked me out on a date, retaliated with bad ratings

Hi,

I'm a single female, living alone, and have been hosting on Airbnb for the last 18 months.  I recently decided to try 'Instant Book,' and got quite a few bookings for single men and women -- whereas up until then, I'd normally choose couples as guests since it's more lucrative.  Initially, my single guests were great -- no problems.  But then I hosted a man my own age who confessed on arrival that he'd googled me, and immediately asked me to accompany him on his excursions that day.  I politely declined, and he never asked again.  He otherwise seemed very timid and shy, and he was extremely polite and neat.  So of course I gave him a good review, and his public review of me was good.  But right after his review posted, I received an alert from Airbnb that due to a guests's recent low ratings, I needed to make improvements.  I checked my stats, and this man gave me the worst star ratings I've ever received from any Airbnb guest -- most of my reviews have been 5 stars in every category except location, where approximately 15% of the time I get 4 stars (usually when the weather is bad and guests take a taxi back to the house instead of walking).  But this man gave me 3 stars and some 4 stars -- which doesn't sound bad, but 4-stars for 'Arrival' when I greeted him at the door, gave him tea and maps/brochures, spent an hour on my computer helping him organize his museum and event bookings for the weekend (he didn't bring a laptop) is retaliatory.  He did the same with 'communication,' even though he privately praised me for being so prompt and informative in all my emails, and having so much information at his disposal on arrival.  Initially I was inclined to let it go, but then I got an email from him (through the site) telling me about the rest of his European trip; so I wrote back and advised him that I was surprised to receive an alert from Airbnb about his low ratings.  He responded with a mostly non-sensical email saying there was nothing I could have done as a host to make his 'Arrival' better or otherwise improve as a host, but that his low ratings were my fault because I didn't explain to him that star ratings were important, perhaps I hadn't noticed that he had very little experience (3 prior Airbnb stays) so of course he didn't know how star ratings worked; that I should have explained it to him more clearly since I was 'so good at explaining everything else.'  I never responded, and was inclined to let it go, but then a male friend of mine encouraged me to complain -- his opinion was that this man had 'targeted' me as potentially available (he'd know I'm single from the reviews on Airbnb, which only mention me as a host), and that he had definitely downgraded my ratings because I said no when he asked me out.  I emailed Airbnb and asked that the review and ratings be removed from my profile, and that the guest be informed that Airbnb is not a dating site.  I got a call from a man who seemed inexperienced with complaints about guest conduct and would only say that guests are free to rate as they wish.  I wasn't satisfied, so I sent a second email asking what Airbnb's policy on sexual harrassment was, requesting that the guest be formally informed that it's inappropriate to ask hosts out on a date, and that his review and ratings be scrubbed from my profile. And in response, I got a call from the very same Airbnb CS rep who blew me off the first time.   I'm a lawyer myself, and if only for future reference I'd like to get a response from the legal department on Airbnb's sexual harrassment guidelines are for hosts/guests.  Has anyone had similar issues, or any knonwledge about guidelines?  Does anyone know how to contact Airbnb legal?  I've since disabled Instant Book, which is a shame because it did result in more bookings -- but I won't risk another single guest with a personal agenda.  Thanks.  

12 Replies 12
Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

Try typing "contact airbnb" in the search window in the top right hand corner of the forum.

Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Honestly, I can't see how you have jumped from his comments and subsequent email exchange where he was quite open and honest to 'sexual harrassment'. This was something a friend of your suggested - and I am afraid to say that reading your description of what happened it just isn't the case. He was polite, timid, neat, left an average review and even explained to you why he had left the scores he had.

While it's frustrating to get an average review (and his was not a bad review by any means) and we all take it personally because it reflects on us and our homes, I would just put it to one side. People see your great reviews and star ratings and that is what matters.

We have a friend who is a single woman and to discourage any such interactions her profile photo is of her and male friend, which implies she  is in a relationship. She also says 'we' in her description......

The suggestion of using 'we' only works if the guest doesn't google you and find current information on another site.  In my case, there's information about me on a travel related site where it's clear from 6 years of client reviews that I'm single, and I cannot edit those reviews to change the pronoun -- and that's the site where this man read about me, as he admitted.   Also, Airbnb reviews only ever reference me as a host; there's never any reference to me and my partner or boyfriend hosting.  So if a guest wants to know a host's relationship status and is determined enough, he/she can find that information.  This is the first time in nearly 40 sets of guests that someone has googled me, and the fact that it was a single heterosexual man who asked me out speaks volumes.  As does the fact that he gave me the lowest ratings I've ever received on the site.  No host should ever be made to feel that good ratings are dependent on dating a guest.  There's no 'leap' to sexual harrassment in this case, that's exactly how I felt -- for the very first time in my life -- that this man would only have given me an accurate review if I'd said 'yes' to his invitation.   I simply feel the equitable remedy where a guest has behaved in an inappropriate manner should be that the guests' review is removed altogether, as a matter of fairness.  

Louise47
Level 10
Maroochydore, Australia

Your right about how you feel.. This is not a dateing site and yes that is sexual harassment.. Males will never understand will they

My suggestions may not work for this host but if you have something constructive to suggest then please do so to stop this happening in future for her or other hosts

I agree with you Lousie, this is sexual harassment. It is a difference between a guest being disappointed over a few things and then leaves a negative star rating, versus the situation with Caroline where the guest clearly is disenchanted that Caroline does not want to respond to his advances. This has happened to me recently and I found it unfair that this guest was able to get away with it. I wish something could be done about things like this.

It was simply a suggestion that might help in future - I think most of us look up guests on FB and LinkedIn, and other sites, so I guess it's not surprising that guests do too.

I can understand that you feel aggrieved by the review and how you link that to his request to accompany him. I would contact AirBnB and ask them to take a look at his review and see what they can suggest and if they will remove the review.

I think you're outraged for the sake of being outraged.

Mitchell74
Level 2
Cork, Ireland

You weren't sexually harassed mate.

He asked you to go with him somewhere, you declined, he took it just fine and left a review that represented his experience.

Matt260
Level 2
Los Angeles, CA

Accusing someone of sexual harassment (especially if they did not sexually harass you), should be treated seriously. That’s not something you just throw around

David6659
Level 2
Special Capital Region of Jakarta, ID

**Personal comment removed**

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello everyone,

For those of you who don't know me, my name is Lizzie and I am a Community Manager here in the Community Center. 

I've noticed we are starting to get some personal remarks on this topic which goes against the spirit of the CC.  As this topic was created in 2016 and the sensitivity around this post, I do think it's best to close this now. 

Thanks,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.