Guest being difficult - please advise

Answered!

Guest being difficult - please advise

We are relatively new hosts - we started this adventure in December 2016.  We have a couple that has been staying with us for nearly a month.  They have been very good, clean guests and I have had no complaints.   They are staying with us while they finish building a house.  They are schedued to stay one more week.  Today I received a message from them that they had gotten a puppy and the wife just wanted to let me know before they got back to our house with this new addition.  We have a "no pets" policy and a puppy is especially concerning.  I had a very surprised reaction (possibly even a bit dramatic) to the text and said I was concerned about the challenges with a puppy - lack of potty training and chewing.  She then proceeded to tell me that I was a racist and that she was centemplating contacting Airbnb now that they've got new diveristy guidelines.  I was literally in shock.  We are not even close to being racist!  These guests are of Asian descent - Korean, to be exact - but that has never been an issue.  All of our convos are on the Airbnb platform, so they are easily accessible.  Basically, right now, I think I'm terribly hurt that I would be called racist when that is so very far from who we are.  But, it also feels a bit like extortion.  I just need some info on what my best steps at this point would be.

Thanks, Allie

1 Best Answer
Cynthia-and-Chris1
Level 10
Vancouver, WA

It definitely sounds to me like they are overstepping their boundaries.  Not allowing pets and being a racist are two completely different things - completed unrelated!

Since they are already talking about contacting Airbnb about you, I would get ahead of the situation by contacting Airbnb first - that way they have your side of the story before the guest ever says anything.

View Best Answer in original post

66 Replies 66
Debbie25
Level 2
Townsend, TN

Wow, sorry to hear this about an airbnb guest. It sounds to me like you did everything right. You have it a no pets policy stated and all correspondence is through airbnb. I would contact airbnb and tell your side of the story and forward anything that might help state your case. I had an issue with a guest once and contacted airbnb and they were more than willing to step in and correct the problem s well as compensate me for a fee not paid. Good luck!

Cynthia-and-Chris1
Level 10
Vancouver, WA

It definitely sounds to me like they are overstepping their boundaries.  Not allowing pets and being a racist are two completely different things - completed unrelated!

Since they are already talking about contacting Airbnb about you, I would get ahead of the situation by contacting Airbnb first - that way they have your side of the story before the guest ever says anything.

Thanks so much for your input.  What I have been unable to find is the contact phone number for Airbnb.  I'm not sure why they make it so challenging to find their phone number.

Appreciate any help you can provide.

@Gary-and-Allie0  I linked you to the contact information in my post above.

Thank you.  I have already been contacted by Airbnb.

Our guests remain here WITH their puppy.  It's amazing the power that threatening to report someone as racist has.

At this point all we can do is hope they keep the puppy under control and it causes no damage.

Thanks again for your help.

Terrible!  Poor showing on Airbnb's front.

That blows me away how they only stick to policy when it suits their needs. You simply have a no pet policy. That is all it should come down to. If they break your house rules, that is automatic grounds for them to leave without refund for anything paid in advance. Unfortunately, it depends on luck as to whether or not you end up with a rep who has normal thinking processes. These guests sound like they are capable of refusing to pay or leave. Don't let them receive mail. You'll end up having to file eviction if they refuse to leave. I would get them out. They have no respect. I've been doing this for 8 years and have dealt with all kinds of problem guests but, not this one. Sorry this is happening to you.

I hope you have charged them a security deposit!

WOW! Thanks for sharing this story....it's the only way we could ever believe how manipulative and awful people can be.

Sorry you are dealing with this issue however, it is YOUR home. Not the guests and not Airbnb. Do what you need to do and if that involves changing the locks - then do it! Take your home back!

I would just like to reiterate how bloody impossible it is to actually contact AirBnB, I've just wasted  a good hour doing this to no avail. I'm so over them. I cant find my property listing on AirBnB. After three people saying they cant find my listing, I went in searh myself and they are right, no listing, and now I cant contact AirBnB to ask WHY, grrrrr.

Sorry just really frustrated.

Maryanne - I agree completely about trying to get the number, but they helped me straight away when I visited airbnbhelp on Twitter.  You just need to follow them and then you can send them a private or direct  message and from my experience & what I have heard from others, they are pretty good about getting back to you.  Good luck - hope you get your issue resolved.

Allie

Hey Allie thanks for the reply, I have never Twittered in my life, how ridiculous that its the only way to get action. Ill go and try now so wish me luck.
Cheers
Maryanne

They make it super difficult. If you ever need it in the future, just google search it. I always end up having to look it up with every problem because they make it difficult on purpose. You'll wait on hold for awhile also, so be prepared. Their numbers are 415-800-5959. I've found more luck at 855-424-7262. Good luck.