Guest cancelled after checking in but the listing can't be booked by another guest

Guest cancelled after checking in but the listing can't be booked by another guest

The guest, who booked for four nights, was unhappy with our kitchen amenities and we directed them to cancel the booking on AirBnB which they did. We provided a full refund. Now, after two days, the calendar still shows those dates as booked. 

5 Replies 5
Jeff158
Level 10
Caernarfon, United Kingdom

@Jonathan-and-Carole0

Did you by any chance get a message from the guest asking you to accept or decline the cancellation.

If you clicked "Accept" you have cancelled the booking, you have to click "decline" so that the guest has to cancel.

If its not the above, ring your superhost phone number and ask them to clear the dates.

The message I got from AirBnB was "(Guest) has requested $-------- (the total I would have been paid calculated I think by AirBnB. Yes, I accepted that request, thinking I was agreeing to the full refund since they had cancelled. In that case should I have clicked "decline." It does look now like they never actually cancelled, they just asked for money.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Jonathan-and-Carole0   Oops. Looks indeed like they didn't cancel, so not only got a refund, but blocked your calendar because they are still booked. If this even happens again, make sure they cancel before agreeing to any refund. Maybe you can contact airbnb, explain that you thought the guest had cancelled, and get them to open up the dates.

Thanks Sarah. Lesson learned.

I recontacted the guest (who had checked in but then left immediately) and asked him to try to cancel his booking. He did this and the system allowed him to cancel even two days into his four-day booking. The days were then opened back up on my calendar.