Guest caused extensive criminal damage

Answered!
Louisa125
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

Guest caused extensive criminal damage

Has anyone else had an experience like this? i need to understand the process for reporting and claiming for extensive criminal damage. I contacted Airbnb on Saturday and i am still waiting for them to respond. I have messaged, emailed and called. 

1 Best Answer
John4704
Level 3
Winter Park, FL

The Resolutions Center and 'AirCover' is a farce, a fake 'host insurance' set-up--it DOES NOT protect the Hosts. [I am a lawyer and Super Host for 5 yrs.]   A recent Airbnb guest (4 guests booked-- and 14 rowdy guests in attendance)  trashed our home with an all-night party, disturbing our neighbors with loud music & alcohol & cars , and causing $850 damages plus extra cleaning.   I called Airbnb the first 'morning after' and wanted to cancel--but Airbnb Rep 'advised against canceling".    I was offered repeated assurances by Airbnb Support that I would be protected & reimbursed by filing a claim with Airbnb Resolutions Center--no worries.  And I did that--just as they requested.  I filed & sent photos and a receipts from our Host/Manager for various damages.  All of this took multiple messages, phone calls,  and  every Rep. gave re-assurances that Airbnb would take care of everything.  A month later I receive a response the CLAIM is DENIED.   What a joke...and disappointment!   If you think you are 'protected by Airbnb' with compensation for damages, think again.  Their Reps are trained to offer plenty of apologies ("I am so sorry you had this experience) but forget any compensation from Airbnb.   I thought Airbnb had our back--but now I think I am going to quit Airbnb.   Hosts are flying naked without backup.     PS:  I sent a  "Request for money" to the guest for 10 'extra guests'  staying, and the Guest messaged back (while at the party) that an Airbnb Rep told him he could "pay charges only if he wanted to".  Guest declined of course (and Airbnb still gives him a 4.5 rating).   

View Best Answer in original post

5 Replies 5

@Louisa125  Refer to this:  https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/279/host-damage-protection

If criminal activity is relevant to your claim, you'll also need a police report.

Louisa125
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

Thank you so much. 

John4704
Level 3
Winter Park, FL

The Resolutions Center and 'AirCover' is a farce, a fake 'host insurance' set-up--it DOES NOT protect the Hosts. [I am a lawyer and Super Host for 5 yrs.]   A recent Airbnb guest (4 guests booked-- and 14 rowdy guests in attendance)  trashed our home with an all-night party, disturbing our neighbors with loud music & alcohol & cars , and causing $850 damages plus extra cleaning.   I called Airbnb the first 'morning after' and wanted to cancel--but Airbnb Rep 'advised against canceling".    I was offered repeated assurances by Airbnb Support that I would be protected & reimbursed by filing a claim with Airbnb Resolutions Center--no worries.  And I did that--just as they requested.  I filed & sent photos and a receipts from our Host/Manager for various damages.  All of this took multiple messages, phone calls,  and  every Rep. gave re-assurances that Airbnb would take care of everything.  A month later I receive a response the CLAIM is DENIED.   What a joke...and disappointment!   If you think you are 'protected by Airbnb' with compensation for damages, think again.  Their Reps are trained to offer plenty of apologies ("I am so sorry you had this experience) but forget any compensation from Airbnb.   I thought Airbnb had our back--but now I think I am going to quit Airbnb.   Hosts are flying naked without backup.     PS:  I sent a  "Request for money" to the guest for 10 'extra guests'  staying, and the Guest messaged back (while at the party) that an Airbnb Rep told him he could "pay charges only if he wanted to".  Guest declined of course (and Airbnb still gives him a 4.5 rating).   

Louisa125
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

Sadly i think i am realising the same. Airbnb are refusing to co-operate with the police in this matter as well. Such a shame they advertise 'protection' and don't provide any to hosts at all. Hopefully people will start to realise and stop hosting as its a huge danger to everyone's homes not to have any protection at all and no coverage even when its a criminal investigation. 

@Louisa125   Yes, it's true that "protection," "trust," and "safety" are all just hollow marketing rhetoric meant to lull people into a false sense of security about handing a house over to strangers from the internet. Not all damage claims are unsuccessful, but it's best to expect nothing from a listing service when things go pear-shaped.