Guest extensively damaged property. Air bnb resolution not responding.

Eze1
Level 2
Vaughan, Canada

Guest extensively damaged property. Air bnb resolution not responding.

Hello,

Had guests stay at our cottage July 19-21st.  It was suppose to be 8 guests. At least 17/18 were there.  They completely trashed the place. over $8000 in damage. I make a resolution center claim on the 21st.  Told i have to wait 72 hours for guest to reply. Guest does not.  I call in to the call center daily, multiple low level employees tell me they can see the claim, that i am doing everything correctly and they will escalate the claim, followed by some generic inauthentic talking line about them being sorry this has happened.   72 hours passes no response from the resolution center.  Finally on the 31st an email from Nadia S. says file a resolution center claim which i had already done on the 21st.  No reply email, no contact number.  Keep calling same song and dance from the call center employees.

I have additional pictures to support my claim that i cannot add.

I also have guests checkin in in 2 hours and have not been contacted by the resolution center.

Is this AirBnB's normal response?  Ignore and delay?

Any feedback help would be appreciated as AirBnB isnt even engaging in dialog.

Thanks,

Eze

9 Replies 9
Alice595
Level 10
Concord, CA

@Eze1 Did you go back to resolution center and click Involve Airbnb button after 72 hours without hearing back from the guest? If you have not done so, you will need to do it soon in order for get somebody to help you.

The team handling claim is totally different from the call center representative. The team is called Trust and Safety. That team can never be contacted by phone. They only contact you through email normally.

Hello Alice,

Yes I have clicked involve air bnb, i have even confirmed this on multiple calls to the call center.

I have check emails, and messages no response there either.

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Eze1   Answer to your question:  Yes, this is typical of airbnb.

Many people say you get a faster response if you contact them via social media, twitter or facebook,  not sure about instagram.  I can't vouch for this, many people who post here have said this is their experience.

Alice595
Level 10
Concord, CA

@Mark116 and @Eze1 

I have tried twitter once. Airbnb did twitt me back in less than 5 minutes. But the response is that somebody will contact me. Since then, I have not got any contact from Airbnb. 

While I used normal help as outlined in my post below, I got response in a few hours.

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Help/Help-tip-how-to-get-hold-with-Airbnb-support/m-p/1095386#M2...

@Eze1  If you use the message to contact Airbnb support, there are time stamp and record. When you call, you have no records. Everytime when you call, you have to repeat the same **bleep** the CS ask and verify you.

Thank you Alice trying this now

Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@Eze1Have you contacted Airbnb and let them know that you have someone checking in in 2 hours from Airbnb and ask them what do they want you to do at this point, as nothing has been addressed. I would also consider taking it to their public social media, rather than sending private messages, if you haven't done that already. 

Your listing is so gorgeous: I'm extremely jealous, and it makes me really sad that someone damaged it. I'm in no way blaming you for what happened, but for the future, I would consider a few things so this doesn't happen to you again: 

- Add security cameras to the outside of your property so you can see how many people are onsite; 

- Add a device like Party Squasher that will tell you if there are too many people in your listing; 

- Not sure what you do for screening now, but I would consider turning off instant book and look at your screening procedures. 

If you're not using VRBO/Home away yet, I would consider getting on them. You fully control your security deposit if something goes wrong, and with high value, standalone properties, I think that's super important. 

Please let us know what happens! What a terrible situation for you. 

Called and Messaged via comp as per a previous suggestion.

Just told that i will get a message from support or resolution center but no one can tell me when.

we are not insta book. so we do screen guests as best as air bnb allowes. People can always lie. as this guest did.

i will look inot party squasher as this is the first i have heard of it.

We will look into vrbo/home away further. thank you for the suggestions everyone.

will keep updating on progress as this may be usefull to someone else in the future

Thanks @Eze1 … really hope it gets resolved. 

Party Squasher is really interesting... I haven't used it, but I've heard good things. It's less overt than a camera, for sure. 

Maya190
Level 2
Fort McMurray, Canada

@Eze1 

Yes, Airbnb's support is not just delayed but eventually it is non existent. We ceased to use them as they just do not follow through on their own policies. They got too big and profit is all it matters it seems.