Guest made reservation for someone else

Melissa980
Level 1
Zavalla, TX

Guest made reservation for someone else

This was my first Airbnb reservation too!! The guest, Yajaira, booked my home at 4pm Sunday afternoon to arrive at 2am, Monday I was super busy and Tuesday I got to meet them and it turned out Yajaira wasn’t there and was “their boss’s” girlfriend. There was a language barrier and on my requirements I’ve asked for Government issued ID, I asked these gentlemen for there’s and they couldn’t provide me with any so I asked them to leave. I’m curious as to what y’all think about this. Should I or shouldn’t I be given my payout for whole reservation since the guest did not follow my booking requirements? 

8 Replies 8
Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

@Melissa980 third party reservations are against Airbnb policy and if anything goes wrong you don't have their protection. Next time this happens call Airbnb and have them cancel the reservation penalty free. 

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Ana1136   I had a group of 3 make a reservation and then the guest said she couldn't come but her two friends would still be coming.  Airbnb told me, via the messages, that it was okay as long as the other guests were on the reservation. I am not sure this is accurate, but that is what the CS person wrote to me, and so I let the reservation stand.  I have another similar issue with guests coming next week, it seems like a third party reservation to me, but based on what airbnb told me the last time, they don't care anymore.

They absolutely do;  the Rule is that the guest who booked must be present,  and if you ask ABB to enforce this Rule,  it will be enforced.

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Melissa980   Here is the link to the article about 3rd party booking.

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/427/can-i-book-on-behalf-of-a-friend-or-family-member

If you refused the guests at the door and they did not stay, then you should contact Air BNB asap to ensure that there will not be host penalties.  Not sure if you would be due payment however.

Of course they're due payment,  unless the guest cancels!

Melissa980
Level 1
Zavalla, TX

Let let me add that they checked in at 1-2 am and were gone weird hours so we didn’t see anyone till the 2nd day, that’s when we noticed there were only men. I called Airbnb and they said I did have a right to ask them to leave if the guest that book the room wasn’t there. They believed her story over mine and I’m going through HECK with this!! Just wondering how the Airbnb community felt about the situation. All I know is this was the first time using Airbnb as a host and I’ve never rented from Airbnb either. Such the luck

Kenneth12
Level 10
Chicago, IL

It's very simple,  you don't allow anyone to check in without the person who made the booking present;  you have a front door cam such as a Ring Doorbell,   to record proof;   you throw out anyone who makes it in without the person who booked being there.

Is she now claiming she was there?  This is why all communications should be through the Messaging Center,  by-the-way.

Yeah, I figured that out too.