Guest not intending to check out on booked date

Guest not intending to check out on booked date

This is my first hosting experience. I am working away from home and my parents have been looking after the guests in my house.

I have contacted the guest to ask about the time they will be checking out tomorrow.

The reply was

"I have booked the room till 13th, so I will be staying 13th night in the house and will handover the room on 14th morning as checkout mentioned is 12 noon ....because we have a flight on the 14th only

The booking is until noon on the 13th.

So far I have emailed and explained that he seemed to have misunderstood the booking situation and advised him if he wants to stay a night more than he has booked he must do this  through the website. He has not yet replied to my email.

Where do I stand and what do I do if he does not get back in touch?

Thank you

17 Replies 17
Clare0
Level 10
Templeton, CA

@Katrina14, Here's the exact language in the Terms of Service that @Andrea9 was referring to:

"Overstaying without the Host’s Consent

If you as a Guest stay past the agreed upon checkout time without the Host’s consent, you agree that Airbnb Payments, in its role as limited collection agent for the Host, may charge any Payment Method(s) you have on file to collect, for each 24 hour period that the Guest stays over the agreed period without the Host’s consent, an additional nightly fee of two times the average nightly Accommodation Fee originally paid by the Guest to cover the inconvenience suffered by the Host, plus all applicable Service Fees, Taxes, and any legal expenses incurred by the Host to make the Guest leave (collectively, “Additional Sums”). In addition, Airbnb Payments may recover any costs and expenses it incurs in collecting the Additional Sums by charging the Guest’s Payment Method on file."

This language is in the Payments Terms of Service (Section 9) which the guest agreed to.  You can quote it to him.  Also, you can tell the guest that while he is paid through the night of the 12th, you'll be happy to inform Airbnb of his overstay and collect 2 times the average nightly fee for the 13th.  I'll bet that will get his attention and change his attitude!

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

Thanks @Clare0 you're spot on as always!

And Terms of Service - of course!

@Andrea9 Ha, Ha! I actually read the T of S and have gleaned some invaluable nuggets here and there!