Guest refund

Guest refund

I have a guest who booked in February for a trip in August and then cancelled on the grounds of illness in May. According to the strict policy I use they had a 50% refund. Today they are demanding the rest of the money back. I have not managed to relet the property and had turned down other booking for those dates in March and April. If I book a holiday and have to cancel I have travel insurance to cover illness. I cannot see any sensible guidelines in Airbnb help as it says to follow the policy except in extenuating circumstances - which then refers toi illness but requires proof by doctors letter. I can ask for this but still do not see why I should suffer financially because these guests probably do not have travel insurance. Comments from experience? Or input from Airbnb would be useful, but wont hold my breath

5 Replies 5
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Clive64

It is the guest who needs to make a claim at Airbnb for  "extenuating circumstances". The guest should not address you. Airbnb will ask for proof and will decide.

For the guest:

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/1339/how-do-i-file-an-extenuating-circumstances-claim

Best regards,

Emiel

Mika8
Level 10
Zürich, Switzerland

.. I don't know any hotel or airline who has this 'extenuating circumstances' ... if you don't have travel insurance, its your fault .. I don't understand why airbnb makes itself so much work dealing with this.

Mika8
Level 10
Zürich, Switzerland

... and it is absolutely not fair .. if airbnb likes to offer that, then they should offer, not the host has to

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Clive64 Just say no and keep saying no.  Your policy is clear on your listing.  When the guest booked your place, they accepted the policy.  It's a contract that both parties agree to.  Too bad for them.  But keep saying no because Airbnb will send guilt-tripping emails to you.  Don't budge.  Then later, if you re-book the dates and feel like throwing some money their way, go for it.  Don't promise it up front, don't promise anything - just say no.

Also, how do they know they're going to be ill in August?  Come on.  I don't believe that for a second.  If they want to push Airbnb for extenuating circumstances, that's up to them, but there's no need for you to help them do it.

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Clive64 besides, you don't have anything to refund... you haven't been paid yet

just keep turning them back to ABB