Guest requesting full refund does Airbb charge me

Perry29
Level 1
St. Petersburg, FL

Guest requesting full refund does Airbb charge me

guest booked two months out and then canceled. Airbb refunded them their portion and stated I get to keep a portion based on my cancelation policy. Does Airbb charge me or take the amount I’m due if I decide to return it to the guest ?

6 Replies 6
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Perry29 

A normal cancellation will automatically calculate (by your cancellation policy " long term stay" ) the amount of refund . You should see it in the Transaction History pages ("future transactions") how it works out for you. If you decide to return more to the guest, then use the resolution centre (use link from reservation "sent or receive money"). It will be deducted from pending payout for this reservation (if any) or will be deducted from a future payout. BTW The guest will have to pay Airbnb host service fees anyway (not refundable). If the guest had to cancel due to  "extenuating circumstances" , the guest can contact Airbnb for a full refund. Be sure this is not the case before doing any manual refund !

Best regards,

Emiel

Thank you! Yes they are receiving a partial refund based on my cancellation policy, but messenged me for the balance. Airbb said I don’t have to, but if I do I thought I read Airbb will deduct that amount from a future booking. Ever hear of that ?

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hello @Perry29 

Have a look at cancellation policies under the Help Centre and it will remind you how the cancellation policy you set up works.

If you have a strict policy your guest will get 50% back and you can choose to refund more. But then why have a strict policy if you automatically return it all on request?

You could also say that you will refund more after the planned arrival date. if you get a replacement booking.

You will get paid your portion as you normally would within a few days of the guests stay.

Perry29
Level 1
St. Petersburg, FL

Thank you! I was going to refund the difference, but you’re correct... why have a strick policy? Let the person on the other end live and learn before booking! Thank you 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Perry29  Anytime you decide to refund a guest, always make sure that the money you were owed (in this case the 50% you get to keep according to your policy) has actually been transferred to your bank account, paypal, whatever payout method you use. Hosts have run into situations where they refunded a guest only to have them apply to Airbnb for a refund as well and get it. So the host is out the $ twice.

I think it's not a bad thing to offer to partially refund a guest if you are able to rebook the cancelled dates. Goodwill and all that. They might tell their friends how nice the host was to refund when he didn't have to, and you might get more bookings that way.

But I think that even if you were to decide to refund a guest in a circumstance like that, you should keep back enough$ to pay yourself for whatever time you spent dealing with the reservation, messaging, etc. We shouldn't be expected to do anything for these guests, who are just strangers to us, for free.

Thank you for that good information.  I realize now I will not pay out anything until I see money come in... if I decide to even pay it out. Thanks again.