Guest requests with no reviews

Larry86
Level 2
Los Angeles, CA

Guest requests with no reviews

I get a number of request from potential guest who have no reviews and I don't feel comfortable hosting them. I really don't like canceling requests. Is there a way to block guests with no review from view and try to book my studio? Much appreciated. 

5 Replies 5
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Larry86 

Only Instant Book has some limitations to set, as mentioned here:

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/484/how-can-i-control-which-reservations-i-get-with-instant-book

Always look also at the month/year they joined Airbnb, because a new profile does not have reviews (yet). Then ask some questions, they can be good guests. I recently hosted several newbies, they were fine. But not  answerring my questions properly (or if in doubt) will result in a decline. Also if ID is not verified (or refuse to do so).

Best regards,

Emiel

Kaylee18
Level 10
Hamilton, Canada

@Larry86   I have hosted several guests with no reviews and they have been really good guests. However, I live on the property so I don't have that worry of guests being a problem (since I would know). I understand how it can be more concerning when  you don't live on the property. 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Larry86  We all started out with no reviews, both hosts and guests. I've also accepted several guests with no reviews and they turned out to b fine guests. You also can't necessarily trust reviews- there's been host reports here of horrid guests they got, who, in fact, had several good reviews. Som hosts are reluctant to post a bad review, some are off site hosts with co-hosts, or property managment companies with scores or even hundreds oflistings who never even meet the guests, so unless the cleaners report damages or an over-the-top mess, the host leaves a generic good review.

What most hosts find is the best indicator of someone who will be a good guest is their communication pre or after booking (if you use IB). Do they respond to your messages in a timely fashion? Do they answer any questions you might pose to them, or ignore them, instead telling you all about their needs? Are they asking you for special extras, asking you to bend your house rules ("I know you say no pets, but my dog is small and really well-behaved"), or pushing for a discount? Are they friendly, tell you something about themselves and why they are coming to your area, compliment you on what looks to them like a lovely place?

Of course you have every right to require reviews if you use IB, as mentioned above. But you don't necessarily have to be afraid of guests with no reviews- just learn how to ask the right questions, develop good vetting procedures and how to recognize "red flag guests".

Larry86
Level 2
Los Angeles, CA

Thanks Sarah, lots of good suggestions. 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Larry86  You're welcome. Just to add, I'd definitely trust bad reviews to be accurate, as hosts have little reason to leave an undeserved bad review. I can also sort of tell if a host is just being nit-picky and expects their guests to be perfect. If I look at those hosts' reviews for other guests, I'll often see a pattern-the host is a fusspot with unrealistic expectations of their guests. And I've learned to recognize whether a good review is something I'd trust, or whether it's sort of non-committal. If in doubt, I cross reference to see what kind of listing the reviewing hosts have. I host in my home, so if an off-site host or property manager who lists entire homes has left a simple "Nice guests" review, that doesn't mean much to me. If other home-share hosts talk about how nice and friendly and respectful the guests were, how clean they left the place, etc, that's much more valuable to me.