Guest stayed for 2hours and left!

Answered!
Julie1738
Level 2
Caudiès-de-Fenouillèdes, France

Guest stayed for 2hours and left!

Hi all, 

I'm fairly new to this (our first season). I had a guest arrive today for 5nights but after 2 hrs they called to say that it wasn't suitable and that they were leaving. I went to see them to ask why...the noise from the road!. Not a lot I can do about that one and my description does say village centre, street view location. He was very pleasant and admitted that he did not read the listing or check out the location on the map. I tried to find them somewhere else suitable but with no luck.

My question is...what happens now?  Do I just wait to see if he cancels?...Is he entitled to a refund? (I have a relaxed cancellation policy - 24hrs).

Can I re-advertise?...although I assume not as he could change his mind and come back!?

Thanks in advance

1 Best Answer
Shauna28
Level 3
Washington, DC

I would make sure to communicate with him only through ABBs messaging platform and leave it on him to cancel and deal with ABB and your cancellation policy.  He may seek a refund but I'm not sure 'noise' is an acceptable reason for a guest to check in, leave early and expect a full refund. Good luck!

View Best Answer in original post

12 Replies 12
Shauna28
Level 3
Washington, DC

I would make sure to communicate with him only through ABBs messaging platform and leave it on him to cancel and deal with ABB and your cancellation policy.  He may seek a refund but I'm not sure 'noise' is an acceptable reason for a guest to check in, leave early and expect a full refund. Good luck!

Julie1738
Level 2

Thanks Shauna28. Fingers crossed then!

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Julie1738 

don't do anything, let him cancel and you will get paid according to your cancelation policy. If he doesn't cancel even better, you will be paid the same as he stayed.

Nakayama0
Level 8
Oyabe, Japan

We are for "don't do anything, let him cancel"

We saw photos on your listings and find very lovely room, but we can not know what outside is like. How about add a picture of view from windows, outside of building or shops around?

Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

As the others say, @Julie1738 , it is up to the guest to do something at this point. 

Just wanted to add that under "Guests must also acknowledge" in the rules section, you can tick "potential for noise". 

I did that on my very, very quiet listing, because twice a year (planting and harvest) there will be a tractor in the field across the river. Only one guest complained, but now I have something to point to. 

You might consider the same, just for peace of mind. 

Hi Lawrene.  Where do I find the 'Guests must also acknowledge' check boxes please? I am looking in Booking Settings/House Rules but cannot see where guests must acknowledge anything nor the 'potential for noise'.  I need potential guests to acknowledge I live on a hill and have a steep drive and if that was a check box, life would be much less complicated.

@Geri26 “Amenity limitations” under house rules 

Julie1738
Level 2

Thank you to you all for your advice and tips.

He hasn't cancelled yet! so  I will sit tight and see what happens.

What a great community this is. 

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Julie1738 ,

A great community made even greater when new faces pop up and contribute to!!

All the  best

Julie1738
Level 2

Just an update...the guest didn't cancel, I never heard anything else from him...so I got paid! 

Will wait and see if he replies to the standard request for a review! 

I haven't left a review for him....not sure what I could say!

Happy August folks

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Julie1738 

He must be one out of the box.

Write a review before the 14 days are up  - maybe say his communication was friendly etc.

You always have right of reply if need be if he mentions reasons he checked out early.

I had a Guest earlier this year who for business reason's returned to his home country after a couple of days.

I asked him if he wanted a refund which he said not to worry about it as can be picked up on business as an expense.

I wrote him a review & he never wrote me one but that's fine.

He visits NZ from time to time & was an all around polite person.

All the best

Cheryl409
Level 2
New York, United States

My guest cancelled after 5 hours (1am). She did not leave until 11 hours after (10:40 am).  Airbnb only billed one night even when i asked her to leave at 9 am.  What can i change to allow for a 2 day billing?