Guest suing host

Mark1360
Level 1
Hamilton, MA

Guest suing host

Hi - 

I have a guest who cancelled upon entering the home, claiming it was unclean and misrepresented on Airbnb. Airbnb case managers did not grant her a refund or rule in her favor. She is taking me to small claims court to get her money and the cost of substitute hotel stay. Airbnb case manager has not contacted me after a couple weeks already. Any suggestions? 

With thanks,

Mark 

22 Replies 22

Any updates on what happened? @Swan-V-0 

What was the outcome?

@Swan-V-0  What was the outcome?

Thomas1980
Level 2
Arvada, CO

Any updates.  We had an issue with a host misrepresenting his unit.  We were the first renters and are considering charging back and have requested a refund.  AirBnB has not answered us and is just a waste of time for complaints.  I would love to know that as a consumer I can sue the host for ruining the first part of our vacation.  We have now spent a full day trying to police a bad AirBnB host.  Here is a video of our issues.  We also did involve the code enforcement for Fort Lauderdale.  AirBnB has ignored over 20 message to them on this issue.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqydiP5iDrI

Interesting set of reviews you have there, @Thomas1980. Why did you wait so long to make your complaints, and why didn't you leave the listing immediately if you were really as shocked and disgusted with it as you're making out in your video? Doesn't add up. 

Tim2162
Level 1
Redondo Beach, CA

Airbnb does not care about the people who book. They only care about making money.That means that they can void your reservation at any time. WARNING: This website is known to allow Host that are known to cancel your reservations last minute even if you have fully booked your reservation. If you book to far in advance (example: holiday such as Valentine's Day) they

Brent274
Level 1
Sarasota, FL

Good I hope your guest wins. Im taking a host to court as we speak as he had Bedbugs or some sort of bugs on his sofa as my daughter got bit up. We called and talked to him and said we had to leave as we had only been in there for less then 30 mins and he told his manager Kelly H. to bugbomb all the cabins before noon before the guest arrive. Scary seeing Marcus Prom At Swan Lake Melrose in FL does this. He refused us a refund so we will let the judge decideScreenshot 2021-09-07 155733.png

@Brent274  I don't know who you were addressing your "Good, I hope your guest wins" comment to, but you are very naive if you think every time a guest files complaints and demands a refund that the guest is in the right. Tons of guests outright lie in order to scam refunds. That doesn't mean that there aren't bad, negligent hosts out there, there are. But simply assuming that every guest has a legitimate complaint is as wrong as assuming that every host is exemplary.  

I am not suggesting at all that there weren't bedbugs in the listing you booked, but if you spent time reading other posts here on bedbug issues you would know that many guests use the bedbug accusation to try to scam a refund or a free stay- the hosts get the pest control company to come out, who do a thorough inspection and find zero evidence of bedbugs. 

Just because you are a guest doesn't mean you should jump to the conclusion that all guests are honest and their accusations have a basis in reality.

Hosts on this forum often support a guest when it is evident they have a valid complaint, because bad hosts reflect poorly on Airbnb and affect our businesses.