Guests Breaking Every House Rule and Non-responsive

Hilary232
Level 2
Denver, CO

Guests Breaking Every House Rule and Non-responsive

Hi, 
My husband and I are somewhat experienced in the hosting world. We just listed our new place and have our second set of guests currently in the property.  Communication with the group has been challenging to say the least. 

When the booking first came through we sent a message to the guest inquiring about if they needed an air mattress for their kids or if they had any questions. We received no response.  Two days before their scheduled arrival we sent her another message with our house rules and again asked if they had any questions. No response. 

On their scheduled arrival date, we received a text message from the guest asking if they could check in early.  We replied that the house still needed to be cleaned and there was a possibility we might be able to let them check in an hour earlier at 3PM (instead of 4), but we couldn't promise that.  Two hours later (~12:30PM) the guest and her family showed up at the property and insisted that we let them check in early. We let them know the house wasn't ready, but we would expedite the cleaning process to see if we could get them in early.  My husband and I were able to get the house ready ahead of schedule, we let the guest know and they showed up again at 3:30.

Every minute since check in has been not great.  We have outdoor surveillance cameras (disclosed in our listing) and as a result discovered they brought an extra child (bringing us over our occupancy limit), they have been smoking (we are a no smoking property), the adult males have been relieving themselves on our deck (in clear view of our neighbors), they have been leaving trash/litter in our yard, the teens have been jumping off our retaining wall (risking injury), letting the 5 and 7 year olds use the hot tub unsupervised, and the list goes on.  When we attempt to reach out to the guest who booked the reservation she is non-responsive. We've tried calling her directly, texting, and messaging through the app multiple times to no avail. 

Not sure what our next step should be. Should we have Airbnb cancel the booking and risk a bad review?  Have any of you encountered this type of situation before and how did you handle it?

HELP!!!!  

15 Replies 15
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Sam4447  "They will let anyone book your place and say what they like on a public review and not let you respond."

Well, hosts do have a choice as to which guests they accept. And there is nothing preventing you from leaving a public response to a review.

BTW, that guest's review does him more harm than it does you. It's an obvious outlier among all your good reviews and his attitude of entitlement comes across loud and clear. And thanks for leaving him an honest review to warn other hosts. I don't know what's going on with young parents these days, but they seem to use the fact that they have kids as an all-purpose excuse for everything.