Guests not wanting to share shared space with other guests

Kristina249
Level 2
Castelnau-Magnoac, France

Guests not wanting to share shared space with other guests

Hi everyone,

This is the first time for me on this forum. We are quite new here! It’s our second summer and we are having a little trouble.

We rented out our beautiful 400 year old cottage to a family of five. They have been here for around 3 days now. The first thing that annoyed me is them arriving 2 hours before check in time, saying they couldn’t contact me, even though I have sent them a couple of messages the week and the day of arrival regarding their check in time. I was still cleaning the home at this time, so had to rush everything. I was cleaning two homes as they were both booked by two different families. Then, we have our private entrance gate where we leave to take our dog out (we live in the third house on the property) which they always come out and close behind us from the garden side (even though we lock it from the road ourselves), which means we are locked out and have to walk all around to go back in. Also the women do not speak to me or say hello, they ignore me and only speak to my Husband. 😕

The main problem is their sharing capabilities, we have a big dining/lounge area outside by the pool, which they take over 24/7. When the second family arrived at the other house (on time), the rude family had taken over the whole garden, had their feet up on the lounge table area, moved the sun loungers to different areas, taken hanging chair cushions off and put them by the pool to get wet. The nice family of 4 were staying in the other house for 3 nights, in those 3 nights the rude family didn’t let them use the outdoor dining/lounge area even once. It was really upsetting for me because, the nice family was so sweet and shy and respectful. 

Anyway the nice family has now left, and a new one arrived today. The rude family has been asking my husband all day, how many people it will be etc. As I was setting up the outdoor shared area and lounge they kept going in and out of the house mumbling that we were in the way. (I was cleaning the table, putting the cushions on as it was raining the day before). I sat in the dining area to at least let the new guests see the area all nice and neat. I got up for 1 minute to inflate a doughnut pool toy and they ran out with cards to sit in the area. They moved my tray with water off the table and sat in the seat that I was sitting in. So I went back and sat next to them in the other seat. Then the mother kept coming out and pretending to read and asking her son if we’re still there and that we are in the way. I left. The new guests have arrived they seem lovely. I showed them everything. The other family did not say a word or even a hello. They just stared. It has been an hour since the other family arrived and the rude ones are now laying on the 3 seater wicker in the dining area, thrown all their stuff around and instead of sunbathing on the deck in the loungers they are sunbathing next to the dining area, while leaning on it so no one else can use it.

Is it right for them to do so? Can someone give me some advise please. I’m getting upset for other guests as last year everyone was just wonderful and everyone shared everything.

thank you 🙂

8 Replies 8
Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

@Kristina249 I would let the "rude" family know that they are being disrespectful and the property is for everyone to use equally. Also I would write an honest review as soon as they leave and mention their behavior if they don't correct themselves after you tell them the way things work arround there. You can't expect anything unless you confront them, be polite but firm. 

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Ana1136  Wow.  You should very politely remind them that XYZ areas are shared between you, them and other guests and that it is important for everyone's enjoyment that the sharing environment be respected.  They sound exhausting.  I can't even imagine being so rude as to speak where the host is hearing asking if she is gone yet.

Kate867
Level 10
Canterbury, United Kingdom

How dreadfully rude!!  I think you should politely remind them that this is a shared area as stated in previous answers.  If they react badly, simply contact Airbnb and request them to cancel the remainder of their reservation.  I would also suggest that you change your listings to reflect that these areas are shared areas with all guests expected to be courteous to each other, make it a house rule so if one family violates it you may get some redress.  Perhaps also allocate and mark pool furniture for each of the properties.  Most people are happy to share but in this situation you are in right now, it would mean that the nicer family would have every right to request and have pool furniture regardless of the rude family’s behaviour.

Kristina249
Level 2
Castelnau-Magnoac, France

Thank you very much for your answers! They left a couple of days ago. On their check out we asked to check the place with them. While we were checking they just drove off. We found that the brand new mattress has beed stained on both sides with some sort of liquid (red wine maybe?) they tried to scrub it with a brush or something you can see the marks. The brand new bed sheets and bed set were ruined in the same room, with the same liquid. One cushion had rip marks. They broke a couple of plates too. Also we have a sofa bed and have set it up for their 10 year old boy in one of the bedrooms, it is also brand new, one day when we had to run into the house while they were out (with all the windows open and curtains flying outside the house, while there is a storm and rain) to close all the windows as the house is very old and it could flood the floorboards; anyway when we went inside to close the windows we noticed they moved the brand new mattress off the sofa bed to the downstairs living room next to the entrance on the floor. 

They were a nightmare! 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Personally I would have contacted Airbnb and asked them to cancel these guests booking when they started locking my gate and making it impossible for anyone else to use the communal pool area @Kristina249 . I certainly wouldn't allow their behaviour to impinge of myself and my other guests.

Please take photo and video evidence of the damages and contact the guest for replacement costs for the mattress and other damaged items through Airbnb, if they don't respond or deny it, submit a claim through Airbnb. Call Airbnb to give them a heads up on this happening.

Make sure you mark them down to one or two stars and a thumbs down so they can't IB with other hosts.

It sounds like you need more chairs outside? Is there enough seating for every one of your units in the shared spaces? One solution could be to have seat cushions of two colors or different styles of seating to designate how many are intended for each unit if both are occupied. If you don’t have a security deposit, maybe consider adding one? 

It sucks when people are rude, but if it is a communal space, some communities are full of dominant people. Sending good vibes for nice future guests!

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Kristina249  What horrid people. Maybe you haven't had any issues of this nature before, but it might be worthwhile to make up a nice, artistic, framed notice in the pool/lounge area making it clear that this is a shared area with everyone on the property, you and other guests, and to be respectful and make room for others to enjoy the facilities. 

I sure hope you leave these brats an honest review so they don't go on to impose themselves on other unsuspecting hosts.

Cormac0
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Kristina249 

Unfortunately  there is very little you can do, as Airbnb have constructed a review processes that penalise hosts and allowed obnoxious guest like the ones you describe away with murder.

I see there was one very practical suggestion around having enough pool furniture for the amount of guests staying, but with obnoxious guests they will find ways to obstruct guests from using the pool, loud music, inappropriate language etc.

Give them a thump down and an appropriate review no holds bared.

Scum like these turn my stomach.